brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

1991 Plymouth voyager 3.3 liter engine. Normally fuel pump

Customer Question

1991 Plymouth voyager 3.3 liter engine. Normally fuel pump comes on 1 or 2 sec. and charges the rail before starting, starts within 2 or 3 revolution. Sometimes the pump doesn't come on engine cranks a very long time (20-30 sec) then starts and runs fine. 'This started Tuesday after filling up with fuel. What component is bad? The pressure at the rail is 42# XXXXX engine running.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

What have you checked so far?

Have you tried a fuel pump relay?

Do you get power to the pump or relay when it wont run?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I have not tried fuel pump relay. Which is the fuel pump relay and where do I get it. We don't know because it starts after 20-30 seconds and runs fine.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Under the hood on the driver's fender and you can get one at any parts store.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is the ASD relay your answer to our problem?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
No I am suggesting the fuel pump relay may be failing. I can't say for sure and you would need to check for power when the vehicle is acting up as it could be an ignition switch, safety neutral switch, or wiring issue as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do you check for power at the relay?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
When the vehicle wont start you need to see if you have power with the key on to two different terminals of the relay. If power there and pump not running the relay is bad. If no power there then check the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have not solved our problem. Changed the ASD relay, crank position sensor, Have a gage on fuel rail runs at 42# XXXXX When engine is hot cranks for 25-35 seconds when it gets fuel pressure starts and runs fine. Again the van starts fine when it is cold only have a problem when it is hot.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Did you replace the fuel pump relay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
fuel pump works fine. Cranks 30-40 seconds when hot then starts and runs great, How can that be a relay?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
It may not be the relay it may be an ignition switch. You state when you get pressure it runs fine so you are loosing pressure? If so do you loose power to the pump? Do you loose power to the relay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does not have pressure to start with. The van is not dying. We cannot start the van after it has been shut off hot, sets for 5-10 min. then it will not start cranks for 25-35 sec. and then it will start when it gets pressure. I am going to replace fuel pressure regulator today. When it is running it runs with 42# XXXXX and book says it should have 48#.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Let me know the results after replacing the regulator