sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Why does my 1995 Chrysler Cirrus not shift out of 2nd gear?

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

When the trans control module sees a problem it thinks could cause potential damage to the trans it will shut off the relay that powers the solenoid pack, and it locks you in second gear. When it does this it will set fault codes so you know where to start diagnosis. The first thing you need to do is have the codes read. Almost all parts stores will read codes for free with a code reader now. The most common cause for this would be either the input or output speed sensor on the front of the trans. These run a little over $20 each, and are easy to replace. It could also be the solenoid pack, trans controller, wiring, or internal to the trans.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what kind of costs are we looking at for the other possible problems
The solenoid pack is about $180 aftermarket, the trans controller is a bit more. Most wiring issues can be fixed without spending much of anything, and internal trans problems can range in price significantly.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If it is the internal trans problem is the car worth fixing with less thant 70,000 miles on it?
Absolutely. If the car is in decent shape (it ought to be at 70,000 miles) I would think it would be worth it. The car has many more miles left in it. Internal trans wouldn't be nearly as likely as a speed sensor or solenoid pack though, so don't get too worried about that yet.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your answers. Can I talk to you when the problem has been diagnosed and I am getting ready to get it repaired?
Oh sure. You can come back and post to this same question at any time and I'll get notification that you did. Let me know if you need any more help with it, or let me know how it turns out!