Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

1996 chrysler: relaced..torque converter..whine..first start

Customer Question

1996 chrysler t&c . relaced the torque converter and front pump for horrible whine. now when first start from stop everythi,g is fine. when slowing down below 60 kil. per hr. the trans goes into 2 gear and will not upshift again until the ignition is turned off and on. then operaTES NORMAL UNTIL SLOWED BELOW 60 K then turn off and on again and away we go. one mechanic told me it was a stuck valve in the valve body but because it seems to be speed related could it be the speedo sensor
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

That could be an internal valve problem, however, you may want to try the input speed sensor, as there has been a service bulletin on them with an updated part. Here is what it states.

A/T - Transaxle Limp In Condition
Notes

NO: 21-10-95

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: Jun. 30, 1995

SUBJECT:
Transaxle Limp-In Condition - Intermittent Input (Turbine) Speed Sensor Signal

MODELS:1995 (AA) Spirit/Acclaim/LeBaron Sedan 1995 (AJ) LeBaron Convertible 1995 (AS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager 1995 (ES) Chrysler Voyager (European Market) 1995 (FJ) Sebring/Avenger/Talon 1995 (JA) Cirrus/Stratus 1995 (LH) Concorde/LHS/New Yorker/Intrepid/Vision 1996 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

graphic

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Transaxle in limp-in condition due to intermittent transaxle input speed sensor signal.

DIAGNOSIS:
Using the Mopar Diagnostic System (MDS) or the Scan Tool (DRB III) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedure Manual, verify all engine/transmission systems are functioning as designed. Test drive the vehicle throughout the transaxle operating temperature range. With the DRB III in the RPM Display Mode under Transmission Systems, monitor the Input (Turbine) Speed Sensor Signal. If the Input (Turbine) Speed Sensor Signal drops to 0 RPM and is accompanied by any of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) 36, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, or 56 perform the Repair Procedure of this bulletin.

PARTS REQUIRED:
1.4412878 Sensor, Input (Turbine) Speed

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves replacing the input (turbine) speed sensor with an improved part.

1.Disconnect the input (turbine) speed sensor wiring connector, be sure the weather seal does not fall off or remain in the sensor that is being replaced.
2.Remove the input (turbine) speed sensor.
3.Install a new input (turbine) speed sensor, P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNN Torque the sensor to 20 ft.lbs. (27 Nm).
4.Connect the input (turbine) speed sensor wiring connector, be sure the weather seal is in place.
5.Using the DRB III erase any DTC's in the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

NOTE : ON 1996 NS VEHICLES, A DTC 45 (CHECK TRANSMISSION SYSTEM) MAY BE STORED IN THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) AND MAY HAVE ILLUMINATED THE "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" (MIL). ALSO ON 1996 NS VEHICLES, THE DTC'S IN THE TCM MUST BE ERASED FOLLOWED BY THE DTC'S IN THE PCM TO TURN OFF THE "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" (MIL).

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE: Labor Operation No: 08-45-23-90 0.6 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE: PS - New Part

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where is this sensor located and is it the same for 1996
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Yes that is for a 96 T&C. The input speed sensor is the one onthe left in the picture. Front of the vehicle on the left side of the trans.

graphic300"/>

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i just noticed you got paid twice . so what is the proeedure for removing the valve body. i removed the bolts but it did not come completely loose. i could not see what was holding it
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

I don't know about the got paid twice thing, I see $23 on this end. The valve body should come right out. Let me give you the steps that I have.

Removal

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Push Park Rollers From Guide Bracket

graphic

graphic

NOTE: To ease installation of the valve body, turn the manual valve lever fully clockwise.

graphic

Installation

To install valve body, reverse removal procedure.

CAUTION: The valve body manual shaft pilot may distort and bind the manual valve if the valve body is mishandled or dropped.

Guide park rod rollers into guide bracket, while shifting manual lever assembly out of the installation position.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my valve body does not look like this i have 18 bolts out. the body is movable but i can't see what is holding it. it cover the whole area. i can't see any parking sprag or manual valve
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

That's all the information that I have on it. Let me opt out and we can relist the case to see if there may be another expert who may have more about it. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it looks like i have a diferent tranmission. the servi ce letter about the speed sensor could not apply to me because i got the(NNN) NNN-NNNNsensor and it fell in the hole. the body was smaller than the 879 that was in it. i relaced it with a new 400879 but the problem still exists. this is a1996 chrysler town and country .
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 5 years ago.
hi there i will like to help you lest start with this ,if you are just replacing a speed sensor why is the valve body coming out?, when the speed sensor is outside.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the scan tool said it was either a stuck valve or the speed sensor from the code. the speed sensor did not cure the problem.all the info i recieved before was useless, it was about the 3 speed. i hav e a 4 speed. i was told the valve body and the shift shaft come out together, the nut and lever must be removed from the top to let it drop out the bottom.now i hear a click and sqeel about20 mph when starting from a stop.but the trans shifts normaly after that until i slow to 20mph then abump shift into 2 and it wont shift again without turning the ignition off and on again
the click that you here has to be the transmission side mount its probably loose and needs to be tight,or the front mount if is a 4 speed and you feel a bump coming to a stop and then it limps is because a speed sensor is loosing signal have you scan the computer to see wish one is the one is it input or output speed sensor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i did not know there was a input and out put. the info i got was sensor on the left front. iordered an 878 but it would not fit. so i returned it. as it was smaller than the one i had info on. i did rerplace one #879 it did nothing to help.i'm sure the mounts are tight as i had the trans out to replace the converter and front pump
yes there are 2 speed sensors.here this tsb will explain b
Notes

NO: 21-10-95

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: Jun. 30, 1995

SUBJECT:

NOTE : THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN DEC. 1, 1994 (MDH 1201 XX) AND APR. 30, 1995 (MDH 0430XX) AND EQUIPPED WITH A 41TE OR 42LE TRANSAXLE WITH A DATE CODE BETWEEN 2183 AND 2295 (REFER TO ILLUSTRATION).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

DIAGNOSIS:

PARTS REQUIRED:
1.4412878 Sensor, Input (Turbine) Speed

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

POLICY:

FAILURE CODE: PS - New Part

etter.