Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified

2008 Chrysler Sebring: synthetic first oil change..000 miles

I just purchased a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. I would like to use a full synthetic oil at my first oil change as owner of this car. The car has 37,000 miles on it. I do not know what type of oil was used preiously. Providing I use the right (SAE Grade)-SAE
5W-20 for a 2.4L engine. Should their be any problems caused from changing from a conventional oil toa full synthetic oil after these amount of miles?   I would like to keep this car a long time. I have a 1995 Chevy Cheyenne with 279 thousand miles on it, full synthetic on the second oil change.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 7 years ago.

The big thing to consider is the fact that some times oil leaks can develop after switching over. Having said that, your vehicle is still "new" and low mileage so I don't that being an issue at all for you.

Synthetic doesn't soak your seals like conventional oil does and if the car has ran a long time on conventional oil then switching to synthetic can cause some of the O-rings and seals to "shrink" and will cause leaks.

But again, I don't see this as being an issue in your particular case. If this was a 1981 vehicle with a ton of miles I would say NO.