John, triple chrysler master tech
Experience:  43 years,triple chrys ,ase master tech,l1,t2 b5 a1-a8 Hev spec.
9510839

My PT Cruiser wont start. I turn the key and the engine starts

Customer Question

My PT Cruiser won't start. I turn the key and the engine starts but doesn't catch. This has happened before and the mechanic I took the car to, said that he checked all the diagnostics and nothing showed up.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi my name is John.

What year and do you have a tubro?

If you cycle the key ON OFF ON OFF ON with in 5 seconds and look at the display on the cluster,does a P code number show up?

When it doesn't start is this after you have driven the car or when it cold?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2004 and its not a turbo. I don't see a P code number show up. I
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
It just turn over and doesn't start up right,so you have a no start not a no crank right?

Does it only do this warm up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I understand you correctly, it doesn't start, but it does crank.

I cranked it twice and it wouldn't start, Icranked it again and it started. I parked it after getting home and decided to try it again, knowing what might happen and cranked it but it didn't start.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
It could be the ignition switch .

Do you want to test the switch and do you have a volt/ohm meter for to do the test with?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately I don't have a volt/ohm meter to do the test.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
A dealership should be able to do the test for you.

Do you have a test light?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
test light?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
A test light can be gotten at a auto parts store for about 5.00.

It has a clip on one end and a light bulb with a point on it to check for voltaged.

At a dealership there will be a code stored in the BCM,IPM,or FCM for the problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, for clarification you think it could be the ignition switch? where would I place the test light to test this?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
First let me ask you this,when you turn on the key to the on position do you hear the fuel pump come on for two seconds.You might take off the gas cap to listen when you have some one else turn on the key
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I haven't really noticed the any sound coming from the fuel pump.

My car is at home right now (I'm at work) but I will most definitely try this suggestion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you think it could be the fuel pump?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
It could be.

Also try a different fuel pump relay and let me know when you get home.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, while I like your answers, they sound logical, I'm hesitant to accept them. Simply because I would like to get a second opinion even if I'm going to have to pay out the butt for it, that and if its either oproblem it'll get fixed at the same time. They're better than "nothing's wrong as far as we can see."

Of course, this being my first time at this site I don't see the "Accept" button anywhere.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Ok here the accept button and let me know what you find out.

You can come back to this question and ask me more.

Thank you

john
John, triple chrysler master tech
Experience: 43 years,triple chrys ,ase master tech,l1,t2 b5 a1-a8 Hev spec.