Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

1995 Chrysler Cirrus: shifting..transmission is not working

Customer Question

My 1995 Chrysler Cirrus is not shifting... It is almost as if the transmission is not working. Some times it works and sometimes it does not. When it stops working on the freeway I just pull over and cut the car off and turn it back on. This usually works. My tachometer is also not working this may be connected to the problem. I checked all fluids and every thing seems to be ok. What should I do?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hi there!

What is happening with the transmission shifting, does it go into limp in and then only have second and reverse?

Did your tach quit at the same time the transmission problem started? Let me know, thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It either goes limp to the point where i'm pushing the gas pedal and the car is just making alot of noise but not moving and i just pull over and cut the car off and start it back up

or it just keeps reving really loud without shifting.

And the tach has never worked it just used tocut on and off but now it has completly stopped working

Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

The transmission is going in to a limp-in mode and you will have to get the transmission fault codes read so I can help you determine the cause.

Can you get the transmission fault codes read by someone? Some places will offer a free scan.

Before you get the codes read you should check to see if the trans fluid level is within the proper level when hot idling in park. Let me know, thanks!