Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2003 Chrysler Sebring: 2.7L..oil light comes..these engines..sludge

I have a 2003 Chrysler Sebring 2.7L engine that has the oil light comes on at idle. I've heard that these engines have sludge problems. Are 2.7L engines after 2002 different? What should I do about the oil light?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
The light is likely commong on because you have a failed oil pressure switch it is very common with these vehicles. You could just replace the switch and see if problem stops or verify oil pressure is good by doing a oil pressure test. Oil pressure should be at least 4psi at idle "that is whats required for switch". You can unplug the switch and if light stays off this means circuit is good so switch is problem assuming oil pressure was ok. These engiens are known for sludge problems but as long as you keep up on your oil changes and maybe get the occasional engine flush you should be ok. I had a Intrepid with a 2.7 just changed the oil like I should have and I had no problems with the car.....I kept it until 160k and sold it. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The oil pressure switch was replaced 3 months ago. What kind of flush do you recomend? Are the 2003 2.7L engines any different than the previous years?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
According to my information and reports I've seen they are no different then previous years and are known for the same problems. When you replace the oil pressure switch make sure you replace it with a OEM part directly from dealership to avoild low quality parts making problem come back. But if you unplug the sensor and the light stays off this means you either have a bad switch or oil pressure. They have many different brands of engine flush chemicals and anyone shoudl work fine. But once flush is done you will need to have oil pan dropped so it can be cleaned and checked for sludge. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database