brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2004 Sebring: Convertable..V6..engine stops at stop light..flashed

Customer Question

2004 Sebring Convertable V6. New battery, engine stops at stop light. Computer chip was re flashed after 6 mo old and worked ok for a while. It is consistantly worse.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Is the check engine light on and if so do you have any codes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
engine light is off and no codes
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
When the car stops at a light does it seem to be running out of fuel or does it quit like turning off the key?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
rpm drops and dies. It will start right back up. Some times the engine surges.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

You are describing a fuel issue.....Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, I have not checked fuel pressure. I did take it to a Chrysler dealer and their report was battery needs replaced and alternator. alternator shows 13.4V
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
13.4 is low but should still charge the battery. If the battery is weak it can make the car run poorly as everything runs off the battery. I would replace the battery first to make sure the system is getting the proper voltage. Then if the car still doesn't run well at stops check the fuel pressure. The pressure should be around 58 psi. If the pressure is good then I would clean the throttle body and idle air control motor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The battery was replaced 2 days ago
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Then check the fuel pressure next and clean the throttle body and idle air control motor. Either one of these could be the problem. If you do not have a pressure gauge to check the pressure then clean the throttle body with carb cleaner and remove the idle air control motor and clean it and the hole it goes into and see if this helps. All the air at idle goes through this hole so if the idle air control motor is sticking due to carbon build up it will cause the problem you are describing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Idle fluctuates when stoped. Surges up and down.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Other than what I stated earlier also make sure there are no vacuum leaks. Either a line off or one that has a crack in it.
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I will try this.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Your welcome.

Thanks,

JB