Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Master Certified Technician with 13 years of experience

2002 Chrysler 300m: wont start..clicks..the check engine light came

2002 Chrysler 300m won't start it just clicks. At first when coming home from work it wouldn't change gears and had to drive slow about 10 minutes later the check engine light came on. Got home turned it off and no power. Then interior lights began to flicker. I tried to turn on again and it would just click. It won't turn over
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
What you've experienced is a charging system failure, most likely the alternator. When it stops charging the voltage drops, once voltage drops low enough the transmission shift solenoids are no longer able to operate, by the time you got home there was almost no power left, as you noticed from the flickering lights.

You're at the very least going to need to have the alternator replaced. It's possible that the battery has also failed due to it's age.

If you have any other questions please let me know. If you're happy with the information I've provided please click accept.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I put the battery charger on it the charger said the battery was fine. So I wouldn't think it would be a battery issue. What would an approximate amount be for a repair to the alternator
Expert:  Themaxview replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

If the alternator didn't go out and let the battery run down, it will most likely be a bad connection. I would charge the battery and see if it will start. If you don't have a battery charger hook up a set of jumper cables to it and let the other car run about 15 minutes and then see if it will start. If it starts check the system voltage to see if the alternator is working.

If it wont start than pull the battery cables, and clean them thoroughly, and clean them on both ends. Also clean the battery terminals. Clean all of this with a wire brush until it looks like new metal, and reassemble all of it. Some times it is just this easy. The try to start it. If you get it started check the system volts, you should get the trouble codes checked too. The check engine light is telling you that the onboard diagnostic system has registered a trouble code. This code may lead you directly to the problem if the alternator, or a bad connection isn't the problem. If it still doesn't start then you will have to get into the wiring system to see what is going on. You will need a good schematic to start the diagnosis. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I put the battery charger on it and it said the battery was fine.
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
Alternator replacement on your vehicle calls for 1.2 hours of labor, depending on your local labor rate between 90-150 in labor, with the part running approximately $280, so you'll be looking at a total bill in the $400-450 range most likely.
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
did you have any other questions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you know of any reputable chrysler service centers in Denver, Colorado
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You wouldn't happen to know of any reputable chrysler dealerships in Denver, Colorado
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately I can't, though, they closed down most of the worst dealerships last month, so you should have pretty good luck with whatever dealer you go to.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could it possibly be electrical?
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
While it is possible it generally it only happens if something has damaged the wiring, rodents for example, or if someone has just done work on the engine and improperly routed the harness in an area where it becomes damaged. 99 times out of 100 when you have a loss of charging like this it's a failed alternator.
Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Chrysler Master Certified Technician with 13 years of experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You
Expert:  Josh replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome, good luck with the repairs