moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE and CHRYSLER Master Tech 30 years Chrysler Dodge&Jeep Dealership Exp
13195827

1999 Dodge Dakota 5.2 V8 oil pressure while driving warmed

1999 Dodge Dakota 5.2 V8 oil pressure while driving warmed up sometimes stays up in the 40+ range and doesn't change. Sometimes while driving it drops to the normal idle position and then will go back the normal 40+ reading intermittently. The reading will only be low or high, nothing in between. Driving speed makes no difference. This started when the enging had about 50,000 miles on it. It now has 106,000 miles. I have used Castrol 10-40 oil since new and change at 3000 miles along with the filter. I have used several oil filter brands, but still have the problem Oil still is clear and has never been dirty looking. I have heard about sludge in the enging, but don't believe I have that problem.
Please advise.

Also Cruise control. When pressing the set button. the cruise light sometimes will come on momentarily, and then will go out. It will not engage.

Also ABS and Brake light sometims will come on and stay on when starting the engine. Most of time it will will go out.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
Did you check it with a manual guage or are you just looking at the one in the cluster?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am not sure the first reply went through.

I have not tried a manual guage. I did change the oil pressure senser. It made no difference. Where would I attach a manual guage. I don't feel it is a dash guage problem.

Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
you need to remove the oil pressure sending unit and install the guage there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I installed a guage to check the pressure. Pressure at idle and warmed up stays at 28psi. Driving at 2,000 rpm stays at 47psi. While driving at 2000 rpm for about 15 minutes pressure went to 28 and stayed there at any rpm from idle to 2000. After another 20 minutes at 2000 rpm it went from 28psi to 47psi and stayed there. Do you have any ideas. Oil and filter have about 500 miles on them. Since new have used Castrol 10-40 oil
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
This sounds like you have some sludge that is pluging the oil pump pickup scrren and then falling back loose or a regulator valve in the oil pump that is sticking.you would need to remove the oil pan and check the screen if it is clear I would replace the oil pump. If I have helped you please hit the accept button. Thanks
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE and CHRYSLER Master Tech 30 years Chrysler Dodge&Jeep Dealership Exp