Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Hello, I have a 1996 plymouth breeze, 2.0 L engine, automatic.

Hello, I have a 1996 plymouth breeze, 2.0 L engine, automatic.   Car did run about 10 minutes then shut down and hours later start again, now it does not start due to no spark coming from the coil at 1&4. Fans did not operate last time it ran either. Worked on many vehicles and educated quick guess is the crank position sensor was going bad causing no ground for coil, now it is bad completely as it does crank and there is fuel delivery, and the cam is turning, it will almost fire up however 1 & 2 especially 1 needs to have spark. So there is fuel, air, good battery, new wires, new plugs, coil tested within specs, have a new crank sensor to put on with a new pig-tail, just wanted second opinion on this. Thank You.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.
<p>Hello!</p><p> </p><p>I would recommend to test compression. If the compression is low on all cylinders, the timing belt may have jumped. If the timing belt jumped, this could cause your lack of spark on the two cylinders 1 and 4 coil.</p><p> </p><p>If compression checks out, we will have to look closely at the cam and crank signals and make sure that they are in sync with each other. </p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Checked timing belt and compression yesterday and all are good within range.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

WHat the compression at?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They were all around 150
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Well, then this is our problem.

Cylinder Compression 170-225 psi [1]
[1] Maximum variation between cylinders must be less than 25%.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So at 150-162 is going to make no spark out of 1 and 4 coil ?

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

No.... I think the motor is not timed correctly. THat will make no spark out of 1 and 4 coil.

Number 1 and 4 cylinders are sister cylinders.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Strange, I understand what you are saying, I mean the timing markes are lined up properly, belt is not that old, was running tip top with plenty of power prior to this, no misses or sluggishness that would occur with out of time or jumped belt or worn rings, no smoke either.. still leaning toward some other cause. Now if this had a jumped time belt or worn rings / cam issues maybe..
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Well, if the timing marks are in fact dead on, you could have a broken, missing or sheared cam or crank gear pin that holds the gear in place in relation to the camshaft or crankshaft.

Just put your hand on the exhaust pipe and have someone crank it over. If your hand gets sucked in at all during the cranking process, the engine is not timed correctly.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

If broken or sheared pin then cam woul just sit as if the timing belt were broke or be intermitentlty turning and engine would not be barely starting and would be making plenty of noise or just turning and turning without the 10 second almost start.

Been researching this issue and the below is about identical issue with this engine posted by someone on another site with an answer below.. sounds very likely and wondered a second opinion as i have tried many basic things...

pegasus757 02-03-2004, 03:45 PM car starts runs fine untill engine gets warm ,(not hot,.. indicator shows about mid way, and fan does not come on ,i can hold the rad hose.). When it dies the front coil works, spark at 1 and 4,the back side has no spark. the coil has 3 wires.. center is pwr... fwd wire is for fwd coil and aft wire is for the aft coil. when it died out i swaped the fore and aft wires the aft coil has spark and the fwd does not. Checked continuity from pins at coil to pcm ...checks good,Ok so I belive pcm is not giving the signal (ground) needed to energize and collapes coil , so I changed the pcm ...still the same results. has any one had this problem or could some one point me in a logical direction. THNX in advance PS... remember, test dont guess.........HERE ARE THE RESULTS.....the crankshaft sensor would get warm and the pickup inside caused an interrmittant open.. found the problem. Went to the zone ,sensor was 28.00 also needed a special pig tail (they didnt have) ,went to dodge they wanted 88.00 for sensor,so i just bought the pig runs fine now

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

ABSOLUTLEY! A bad crank or even a bad cam sensor would cause this problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Wasn't trying to insult you, Just wanted to know if the crank sensor would be a correct bet if all else was basicaly in order. I mean it is a wird issue and identical with the same fan problem too.. I mean I could easily be doing a strong 80-100mph in this car with no problem other than it getting hot because of fans not comming on and shutting down. I checked so much and am leading toward this as strong solution. Poor guy bought new pcm only to fing out this solution... Hope it fixes my issue..
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

LOL... right!

I hope it is just a sensor or something simple that fixes your car too!

Please don't forget to hit the accept button if my answer has helped you in anyway.