brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

How to remove a/c evaporator 2004 pacifica

how to remove a/c evaporator 2004 pacifica
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Just want to make sure that you understand the dash will need to come out to get to the exaporator and you will need to evacuate and charge the system when done. This takes around 9 hours to do.

I will attach information.

Instrument Panel Assembly Removal

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove center console closeout panel.
  3. Remove front floor console assembly.
  4. Remove floor console base assembly two screws attaching L-brackets to Instrument panel.
  5. Remove nuts attaching the floor braces to instrument panel.
  6. Remove steering column opening cover.
  7. Remove inflatable knee blocker four mounting screws.
  8. Remove two screws attaching instrument panel trim outlet plate.
  9. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, disengage the locking tabs attaching instrument panel trim plate.
  10. Disengage the braking brake handle from brake park release bracket, leave rod engage.
  11. Remove instrument panel reinforcement.
  12. Disconnect bulkhead wiring harness connectors.
  13. Disconnect body control module wiring connectors.
  14. Remove upper and lower steering columns shrouds.
  15. Disconnect steering column wiring connectors.
  16. disconnect steering column pinch bolt and retaining nuts (4).
  17. Disconnect brake light wiring connectors.
  18. Remove steering column retaining nuts.
  19. Remove shift interlock cable.
  20. Remove both left and right side A-pillar trim.
  21. Remove and discard instrument panel end caps.
  22. Remove both front door sill scuff plates.
  23. Remove both cowl side trim panel.
  24. Disconnect the antenna lead connector.
  25. Remove the glove box:
    1. Push in on side of glove box bin and lower door.
    2. Pivot glove box downward and disengage hinge hooks from instrument panel.
    3. Remove glove box from vehicle.
  1. Disconnect the aibag module electrical connector.
  2. Remove top cover.
  3. Remove mounting screws attaching right instrument panel side cowl bracket (roll down).
  4. Disconnect HVAC electrical connectors.
  5. Disconnect (3) electrical connectors behind cowl panel.
  6. Disconnect right side electrical connector form A-pillar.
  7. remove (2) screws attaching the instrument panel frame to the dash panel below windshield opening.
  8. With the help of an assistant remove the instrument panel from vehicle. Lift the instrument up off the HVAC so you won't damage the sealing surface of the distribution duct.

Note: If the instrument panel is being replaced, transfer all parts to the new instrument panel assembly.

1. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system. Refer to: Heating and Air Conditioning, Service and Repair, Refrigerant System Recovery, See: Service and Repair\Refrigerant System Recovery
  2. Drain the engine cooling system.
  3. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  4. Disconnect the liquid line and suction line from the expansion valve.
  5. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.

Heater - A/C Unit Housing Studs

1. Remove the four nuts that secure the heater-A/C unit housing studs to the engine compartment side of the dash panel.
  2. Remove the instrument panel from the passenger compartment.Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, Instrument Panel Assembly, See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Instrument Panel Assembly

Heater - A/C Unit Housing

1. Remove the two screws that secures the heater-A/C unit housing bracket to the passenger compartment side of the dash panel.
  2. Pull the heater-A/C unit housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs to dear the dash panel and remove the unit from the passenger compartment.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the heater-A/C unit housing against the dash panel in the passenger compartment with the four mounting studs located in their proper mounting holes in the dash panel.
  2. Install and tighten the two screws that secures the heater-A/C unit housing bracket to the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the screws to 3 Nm (26 in. lbs.) .
  3. Install and tighten the four nuts that secure the heater-A/C unit housing studs to the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 7 Nm (62 in. lbs.) .
  4. Reinstall the instrument panel into the passenger compartment.Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, Instrument Panel Assembly, See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Instrument Panel Assembly
  5. Reconnect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes.
  6. Reconnect the suction line and liquid line to the expansion valve.
  7. Reconnect the battery negative cable.
  8. Refill the engine cooling system.
  9. Evacuate the refrigerant system. Refer to: Heating and Air Conditioning, Service and Repair, Refrigerant System Evacuate, See: Service and Repair\Refrigerant System Evacuate
  10. Charge the refrigerant system. Refer to: Heating and Air Conditioning, Service and Repair, Refrigerant System Charge, See: Service and Repair\Refrigerant System Charge

REMOVAL

WARNING: REFER TO THE APPLICABLE WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS FOR THIS SYSTEM BEFORE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING OPERATION.

1. Remove the HVAC unit housing from the vehicle. Refer to: Heating and Air Conditioning, Housing Assembly HVAC, Service and Repair, See: Housing Assembly HVAC\Service and Repair
  2. Remove the heater core tubes from the heater core.
  3. Remove and discard the foam seal from the HVAC housing seal flange around the fresh air inlet opening and the expansion valve/evaporator tube opening on the dash panel side of the unit.
  4. Remove the expansion valve from the evaporator inlet and outlet tube fittings.
  5. Disconnect the HVAC wire harness connector for the blower motor from the motor connector receptacle on the bottom of the outboard end of the evaporator housing.
  6. Disengage the HVAC wire harness from the routing clips molded into the outside of the HVAC housing components.

HVAC Housing

1. Remove the four screws from the dash panel side of the unit that secure the top of the distribution housing to the inboard end of the evaporator housing.

Distribution Housing Hooks

1. Pull the top of the distribution housing away from the evaporator housing far enough to disengage the two hook formations on the bottom of the distribution housing from the two receptacles on the evaporator housing.
  2. Remove the two screws that secure the upper intake air housing to the lower intake air housing.
  3. Remove the three screws that secure the upper intake air housing to the top of the outboard end of the evaporator housing. Be certain not to miss the screw located just inside the inboard side of the fresh air intake opening.

Upper Intake Air Housing - (typical)

1. Remove the upper intake air housing from the top of the evaporator housing to expose the recirculation air door and the blower wheel housing.
  2. Remove the screw and washer from the upper pivot of the recirculation door.
  3. Remove the twelve screws around the perimeter of the evaporator housing that secure the upper housing half to the lower half.

Evaporator Housing - (typical)

1. Carefully separate and remove the upper half of the evaporator housing from the lower half. Be certain not to lose the rubber grommet for the HVAC wire harness evaporator temperature sensor take out. This grommet is located on the inboard side of the flange around the expansion valve/evaporator tube opening on the dash panel side of the unit, where it is captured in a notched area between the upper and lower housing halves.
  2. Carefully lift the evaporator and its foam wrap out of the lower half of the evaporator housing as a unit. Be certain not to lose the clam shell type rubber seal that is fitted to the evaporator inlet and outlet tubes where they exit the evaporator housing.

INSTALLATION

NOTE: If the evaporator is being replaced, add 60 milliliters (2 fluid ounces) of refrigerant oil to the refrigerant system. Use only refrigerant oil of the type recommended for the compressor in the vehicle.

1. Carefully lower the evaporator and its foam wrap into the lower half of the evaporator housing as a unit. Be certain that the clam shell type rubber seal is fitted to the evaporator inlet and outlet tubes where they exit the evaporator housing.
  2. Position the upper half of the evaporator housing onto the lower half. Be certain that the rubber grommet and the HVAC wire harness take out for the evaporator temperature sensor are captured in the notched area between the upper and lower housing halves.
  3. Install and tighten the twelve screws around the perimeter of the evaporator housing that secure the upper housing half to the lower half. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (17 in. lbs.) .
  4. Position the upper intake air housing onto the top of the evaporator housing over the recirculation air door and the blower wheel housing. Be certain that the upper pivot of the recirculation air door is captured in the pivot receptacle of the upper intake air housing.
  5. Install and tighten the three screws that secure the upper intake air housing to the top of the outboard end of the evaporator housing. Be certain not to miss the screw located just inside the inboard side of the fresh air intake opening. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (17 in. lbs.) .
  6. Install and tighten the two screws that secure the upper intake air housing to the lower intake air housing. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (17 in. lbs.) .
  7. Engage the two hook formations on the bottom of the distribution housing in the two receptacles on the evaporator housing.
  8. Roll the top of the distribution housing up into position against the evaporator housing.
  9. Install and tighten the three screws from the dash panel side of the unit that secure the top of the distribution housing to the inboard end of the evaporator housing. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (17 in. lbs.) .
  10. Engage the HVAC wire harness in the routing clips molded into the outside of the HVAC housing components.
  11. Reconnect the HVAC wire harness connector for the blower motor with the motor connector receptacle on the bottom of the outboard end of the evaporator housing.
  12. Reinstall the expansion valve onto the evaporator inlet and outlet tube fittings.
  13. Install a new foam seal onto the HVAC housing seal flange around the fresh air inlet opening and the expansion valve/evaporator tube opening on the dash panel side of the unit.
  14. Reinstall the heater core tubes into the heater core.
  15. Reinstall the HVAC unit housing into the vehicle. Refer to: Heating and Air Conditioning, Housing Assembly HVAC, Service and Repair, See: Housing Assembly HVAC\Service and Repair
  16. Run the HVAC Control Actuator Calibration procedure.
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,