moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE and CHRYSLER Master Tech 30 years Chrysler Dodge&Jeep Dealership Exp

I keep getting the Service Tire Pressure system message on

Customer Question

I keep getting the "Service Tire Pressure system" message on my 2003 T&C Limited. What is the fix? Do I have to "retrain" the tires using the special magnet that Miller Tools has? Or should I replace the sensors (i.e. valve stems)?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
First I would check the tire pressures and then do the system training using the magnet.this will tell you if one of the sensors is bad.the one that is bad will not train. If this is the case you will need to replace that sensor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the magnet produced by Miller Tools the only thing that I can use to "retrain" the system? Also, how can I tell I have a bad sensor? What message will I see?
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
When you are doing The relearn the horn will beep when it trains the sensor.if the horn does not beep then that sensor is bad and you will have to replace it.I use two trans pan magnets put together to do the long as the magnet is round with a hole in the middle of it to fit over the valve stem it will work to do this.
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.

CAUTION: Never attempt to train more than one vehicle at a time. System is capable of reading tire pressure sensor transmissions from other near-by vehicles.

Each time a wheel rotation or tire pressure sensor replacement occurs the tire pressure sensors must be retrained. This is necessary to inform the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) that a sensor change was made and where. Retraining is accomplished through the EVIC used in conjunction with a Re-learn Magnet, Special Tool 8821.

NOTE: Use the following procedure to retrain all four (4) road wheel tire pressure sensors. No attempt should be made to retrain individual sensors.

1. Retrieve Re-learn Magnet, Special Tool 8821.
  2. Press MENU Button on EVIC until "RETRAIN TIRE SENSORS - NO" is displayed.
  3. Press STEP button to select "YES".

NOTE: There is a 60 second timer for training the first sensor and a 60 second timer between training the remaining sensors. If any of these timers expire, the EVIC will abort the training procedure.

NOTE: If at any time the EVIC display reads "TRAINING ABORTED", move the vehicle ahead at least one foot and repeat the entire retraining procedure.

4. Press MENU button to start retraining. Display will read "TRAIN LEFT FRONT TIRE"

NOTE: The order for retraining all four sensors is:

• Left Front
    • Right Front
    • Right Rear
    • Left Rear

5. Starting at left front tire, place Re-learn Magnet over valve stem (Magnet Placement Over Valve Stem). Within approximately 5 seconds, vehicle horn will chirp indicating training complete at that particular sensor. Remove the magnet.
  6. Repeat step (5) on remaining sensors as indicated by EVIC until all four TPM sensors positions are trained.
  7. Once EVIC displays "TRAINING COMPLETE", pressing either STEP, C/T, RESET or MENU button will exit training routine.