Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.

1989 New Yorker: no power to fuel pump but relay tests fine

1989 New Yorker no power to fuel pump but relay tests fine. Have also checked fused link that seem fine too.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
I have some questions, please reply in this thread.
1) Does the Auto Shutdown relay come on( click) for 1-3 seconds when you turn the ignition ON?
2) Is there +12V power on the RED wire at the ASD relay?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Where is the Auto Shutdown located?

Yes there is power to the red wire at the ASD relay

Best Wishes,

Stanley R Spires

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
Thanks,
Let's make sure we are talking about the same relay.
Do you hear this relay clicking when you turn the ignition ON ( first 1-3 seconds)?
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Give me 5 minutes while I go and check. Thanks
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
Ok, do not hurry up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes relay works fine, have tried the relay from my 1991 Lebaron on it but still no luck.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
I suppose you answer is YES, relay comes On for 2 seconds with the ignition ON.
How do you know that there is no power at the fuel pump?
Have you checked the power and ground at the fuel pump connector?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes this has been checked out fully
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
Well,
1) Disconnect the ASD relay, use a fused jumper wire and jump the RED and Dark Green/Black wires together, then use a test light to check the for power at the fuel pump connector.
Let me hear your results.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Right, still no pwoer at the pump connector

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
Thanks,
Sounds that the Dark Green/Black is open somewhere on its way from the relay to the fuel pump.
The same wire feeds the ignition coil and fuel injectors, you can check for power at any of these components with the jumper installed.
You should trace this wire down to find an "open circuit".
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I had an auto electrician take a look at the vehicle. I had given you wrong information in that the power was actually getting to the fuel pump.

He jacked up the rear of the car, and while I cranked the starter he hit the pump lightly with a hammer, and hey presto it started. He was not sure though if the pump would stall out again or not. What would you recommend?

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
There is not any problem with the delay or wrong information about the issue.
It happens.
You have to replace the fuel pump since it could fail again.
The collector and brushes inside the fuel pump seem to be worn out. When you hit it, a shock creates a good contact and the pump starts working for a some period of time.
We use such a "kick" test every time a vehicle comes for a "no start" condition.
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience: I've been working with American made cars since 1992.