Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified
12104952

How to take the chrysler 300 front dash out

how to take the chrysler 300 front dash out
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.

What year?

Just the instrument panel assembly....complete?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2006 and I want to take the dash out to custom paint and take the steering wheel apart to paint as well. please help
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did you find anything yet

This will get the column out.........column shift....not floor shift.

COLUMN

WARNING: Before servicing the steering column the airbag system must be disarmed. Refer to electrical restraint system for service procedures. Failure to do so may result in accidental deployment of the airbag and possible personal injury.

NOTE: If steering column being removed is an electric telescoping column and it is being reused, place column in mid-tilt position before removal to ease installation.
1.Position the front wheels straight-ahead.
2.Fully extend or pull out adjustable steering column.
3.Disconnect the negative (ground) cable from the battery.

4.Remove the airbag (3). (Refer to 10 - Restraints/AIR BAG, Driver - Removal) .

5.Remove the steering wheel retainer bolt (2), then slide the steering wheel (1) off the shaft.

6.Remove the steering column opening cover (1)(Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/COVER, Steering Column Opening - Removal) .

7.Remove the steering column opening reinforcement (1).

8.Loosen at least one clockspring screw (1) to prevent the clockspring from unwinding.

9.Back out the set screw (1) through the access hole (3) in the steering column control module (SCCM) (2) securing the multi-function SCCM assembly.

10.Pull the SCCM assembly (1) off the steering column shaft.

11.Manual tilt and telescoping columns - Unsnap and move the adjustment handle locking tab (3) forward as shown unlatching the handle (2) from the column.

12.Remove four roll top shroud mounting screws and remove roll top shroud (1) along with manual tilt/telescope handle (3) (if equipped).

13.Remove the two retaining nuts (1) at the bulkhead (2) for the steering column.
14.Remove the instrument cluster assembly. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8J - Instrument Cluster/Instrument Cluster - Removal)

15.Depress the tabs on the rear of the column wiring harness connector and remove the connector from the steering column.
16.Raise and support vehicle. (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting - Standard Procedure)

17.Remove the pinch bolt (4) at the lower coupling shaft (5).
18.Slide the steering shaft (3) out of the lower coupling shaft (5).
19.Lower vehicle.

20.If equipped with electronic telescoping column, remove the screws (3) mounting the brace (1) to the steering column (2) and support beam bracket.

21.Remove the lower steering column mounting pivot bolt and nut (2).

CAUTION: When handling the steering column use care to avoid holding the column by any part of the tilt/telescope mechanism or by the shaft boot. The column should be held by its mounting bracket and the shaft by the exposed portions.

22.Remove the two upper mounting screws (1) from the steering column (2).
23.Remove the steering column assembly from the vehicle.
24.Transfer remaining parts if necessary to the new column.

Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience: 24 Year Factory Trained and Certified

And the dash....

REMOVAL

WARNING: To avoid personal injury or death, on vehicles equipped with air bags, disable the supplemental restraint system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, occupant classification system, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the supplemental restraint system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.

WARNING: To avoid personal injury or death, never strike or drop the occupant restraint controller, as it can damage the impact sensor or affect its calibration. The occupant restraint controller contains the impact sensor, which enables the system to deploy the supplemental restraints. If an airbag control module is accidentally dropped during service, the module must be scrapped and replaced with a new unit. Failure to observe this warning could result in accidental, incomplete, or improper supplemental restraint deployment.

CAUTION: On vehicles equipped with the Occupant Classification System (OCS), never replace both the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) and the Occupant Classification Module (OCM) at the same time. If both require replacement, replace one. Then perform the supplemental restraint verification test before replacing the other. Both the ORC and the OCM store OCS calibration data, which they transfer to one another when one of them is replaced. If both are replaced at the same time, an irreversible fault will be set in both modules.

1.Before proceeding with the following repair procedure, review all warnings and cautions.
2.Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable.
3.Raise and support the vehicle.
4.Disconnect the steering column from the steering coupling
5.Lower the vehicle.
6.Remove the left and right side instrument panel silencers
7.Remove the screws (2 and 6) that secure the steering column cover (1) to the instrument panel.
8.Disconnect the wire harness connector (3) from the trunk release switch.
9.Disconnect the hood release cable (4) from the hood release handle (5) and remove the steering column cover from the vehicle.

10.Remove the screws (3) that secure the instrument panel steering column cover reinforcement (1) to the bracket (2) and remove the reinforcement from the vehicle.
11.Remove steering column as necessary

12.Disconnect the body wire harness connectors (1 and 3) from the instrument panel wire harness connectors.
13.Disconnect the body wire harness connectors (2 and 4) from the transmission control module.

14.Remove the center floor console
15.Remove the ash receiver from the instrument panel
16.Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector (1) from the occupant restraint controller (ORC) module.

17.Disconnect the antenna coax (1) from the instrument panel coax extension.
18.Disconnect the wire harness connectors (2, 4, 5 and 6) from the instrument panel wire harness connectors (3).

19.Remove the A-pillar trim panels
20.Disconnect the wire harness connectors (1 and 2) located on the A-pillars.

21.Remove the end caps from the left and right side of the instrument panel to access the instrument panel side support bolts (1) and remove the bolts.
22.Remove the defroster grille to access the instrument panel top retaining bolts (2) and remove the bolts
23.Remove the bolts (3) that secure the bottom of the instrument panel.

24.Lift the instrument panel assembly (2) off of the supports (1 and 5). Guide the steering column end (4) through the opening in the dash panel (3) and remove the instrument panel through the passenger door.

25.If required, remove the spring nuts (1) from the dash panel.