ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master/factory certified/and automotive instructor
14457476

2001 chrysler sebring... trouble starting., codes that come

Customer Question

2001 chrysler sebring... trouble starting., codes that come up are p1684 and p0137. ignition/fuel fuse blows aswell.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 5 years ago.
okey can you tell me what fuse blows,is it a yellow 20 amp fuse outside at the engine compartment by the battery area?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes. yellow twenty, currenty i put a 25 and those blow less frequent, the 20 was going out every time i tried to start the car

okey your problem is with your starter drawing to mush current from the ignition switsh,yes the starter seems okey, and car cranks okey,but its causing an overload in your ignition system every time you cranck and by increasing the amperage on that fuse it compensates for it but in time it will blow again and cause wires to burn up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i've seen a couple of people already they all say something different,

1) short in wire, may need to be replaced

2)steering column wiring not connecting, no power going to starter from the turn of the key. (i keep turning the key, and i wanna say 1/15 to 30 tries it will start, the 25 fuse doesn't blow)

3)need a new starter.

okay so what seems more likely and what should i do to fix the problem?

replace your starter with a new or remanufactured starter,not a junck yard starter because it may have the same problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

is there anything else that can be wrong with it? i've towed my car to three different places and when the car arrives and they try to check the problem, the car starts. and they can't do anything about it. but i am leaning towards the starter being the problem. can there be anything else?

yes and i did some research rigth now on data line from crhysler and found that the ingnition switsh is the cause of starter falure,they have a supersided ignition switsh and the part p/n 8602A007, only the dealer carrys this part, dont by from outside or you will get tha same junk .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

is this all, so i can be on my way to buy the part?

yes it is!
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience: ase master/factory certified/and automotive instructor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wasn't the ignition switch!
di you replace the,ignition switsh!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yep. not it the problem, same deal. wont start.
you mean it burnt the fuse again?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ya it did, i took the 25 out and put back the 20 because i thought it didnt need the 25, it blew... so i put back the 25 and its the same problem
Expert:  David Dill replied 5 years ago.
I am going to suggest the starter as a problem. As I look at the wire diagram, the #8 fuse which is 20 amp feeds the starter motor through a relay as well as the ignition switch and the fuel pump relay. Since you've replaced the ignition switch the only remaining loads on the system are the starter and the fuel pump. I would lean more toward the starter than the fuel pump. You can rule out the fuel pump by removing the fuel pump relay when the fuse is blowing. If removal of that relay stops the fuse from blowing then the problem is in the fuel pump area, if there is no change then the starter is your issue. Good luck with this problem.

I also took a look at the codes you provided. The P0137 is an O2 sensor issue in the downstream O2 and the P1684 is for the memory in the PCM and indicates that it has been cleared. That one really isn't a big concern but the O2 sensor is.