ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master/factory certified/and automotive instructor

2003 PT Cruiser: that has turbo problems..cheap

My friend has a 2003 PT Cruiser that has turbo problems. Is there a cheap way to fix or replace it?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 5 years ago.
it depends, tell me what is the problem?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is lots of white smoke that comes out when the it runs. The oil leaks enough that the turbo has to be filled at least once a week.

i will be with you in 10 minutes sorry.
TURBOCHARGER

DESCRIPTION

CAUTION: The turbocharger is a performance part and must not be tampered with. Tampering with the wastegate components can reduce durability by increasing cylinder pressure and thermal loading due to incorrect inlet and exhaust manifold pressure. Poor fuel economy and failure to meet regulatory emissions laws may result. Increasing the turbocharger boost WILL NOT increase engine power.

The turbocharger is an exhaust-driven supercharger which increases the pressure and density of the air entering the engine. With the increase of air entering the engine, more fuel can be injected into the cylinders, which creates more power during combustion.

The turbocharger assembly consists of four (4) major component systems (Fig. 18):

Turbine section
Compressor section
Bearing housing
Wastegate
OPERATION
Exhaust gas pressure and energy drive the turbine, which in turn drives a centrifugal compressor that compresses the inlet air, and forces the air into the engine through the charge air cooler and plumbing. Since heat is a by-product of this compression, the air must pass through a charge air cooler to cool the incoming air and maintain power and efficiency.

Increasing air flow to the engine provides:

Improved engine performance
Improved operating economy
Altitude compensation

The turbocharger also uses a wastegate (Fig. 19), which regulates intake manifold air pressure and prevents over boosting at high engine speeds. When the wastegate valve is closed, all of the exhaust gases flow through the turbine wheel. As the intake manifold pressure increases, the wastegate actuator opens the valve, diverting some of the exhaust gases away from the turbine wheel. This limits turbine shaft speed and air output from the impeller.

The turbocharger is cooled by engine coolant. The coolant is delivered to the turbocharger by a supply line that connects from engine block to the turbocharger. A coolant return line connects the turbocharger to heater tubes.

The turbocharger is lubricated by engine oil that is pressurized, cooled, and filtered. The oil is delivered to the turbocharger by a supply line that is tapped into the cylinder block. The oil travels into the bearing housing, where it lubricates the shaft and bearings (Fig. 20). A return pipe at the bottom of the bearing housing, routes the engine oil back to the crankcase.

The most common turbocharger failure is bearing failure related to repeated hot shutdowns with inadequate "cool-down" periods. A sudden engine shut down after prolonged operation will result in the transfer of heat from the turbine section of the turbocharger to the bearing housing. This causes the oil to overheat and break down, which causes bearing and shaft damage the next time the vehicle is started.

Letting the engine idle after extended operation allows the turbine housing to cool to normal operating temperature. The Turbocharger "Cool Down" chart should be used as a guide in determining the amount of engine idle time required to sufficiently cool down the turbocharger before shut down, depending upon the type of driving and the amount of cargo.

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the information. my original question was:

Is there a cheap way to fix or replace the turbo?
i'm open to after market products, junk yards and speed shops.

thanks!
<p>hi there , yes there are diferent ways you can go by, and to tell you the thruth, replacing it is allways the best ,because if is blowing oil out the exhaust seal that means that posible damage to the berring and turbine has allready happing and,rebuilding it may not work 100%, it may blow the seal again due to vibration cause by the turbine shaft, and this time will probably seased the engine do to oil atarvation, the kit runs for aprox $300. you can get a used turbo for less than that,and rebuilding would have to be by a person that knows how because berring clearens and turbine clearanse,are verry inportante ,and that will cust you , you can go on google and locate a cople of aftermarket turbos,best is if you whant to save junk yard .</p><p> </p>
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience: ase master/factory certified/and automotive instructor