Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL

2002 Chrysler Sebring: air conditioner..Every once..awhile..gets cold

Customer Question

I drive a 2002 Chrysler Sebring and my air conditioner has not been working. It consistantly blows air but the majority of the time, it blows hot air. Every once in awhile, it gets cold but not often. It also randomly alternates between blowing out of the vents, on the dash, and at your feet, without me changing the dial at all. I just think there are wires crossed or something. I need to know what I should do to get it fixed.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
First of all you need to have the pressures checked in your system, It sounds like its low. Secondly, the dash vent problem may or may not be related, you may have another problem. Let me look at schematics and get back with you.Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I found a technical service bulliten that covers your symtoms, You will have to take it to the dealer to have the ECM reflashed. Below I'll post the bulliten, Hope this helps,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
A/C - Erratic Operation/Poor Performance
Notes

NUMBER: 24-002-04 REV. A

GROUP: Heating & A/C

DATE: July 30, 2004

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 24-002-04, DATED MARCH 30, 2004, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES . ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES ADDITIONAL MODEL YEAR.

SUBJECT:
A/C and Heater Performance

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin provides diagnostic information for A/C and heater performance complaints.

MODELS:

1998 - 2004 (LH) LHS/300M/Concorde/Intrepid 2001 - **2005** (JR) Sebring Convertible/Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan

NOTE :Perform Customer Satisfaction Notification no. 857, reprogram Powertrain Control Module (PCM), for 2000 model year LH-vehicles built prior to August 30, 1999 (MDH 0830XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Erratic operation of the A/C and heater systems including:

^Lack of cold air

^Lack of hot air

^Unrequested mode change - Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) only)

^No control of mode or temperature control

^Tapping noise from blend door

The above Symptoms may be accompanied by the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs):

^Blend door feedback

^Blend door stall

^A/C control mode door input shorted to battery

^Mode door stall

^In car temp sensor failure ATC messages not received

DIAGNOSIS:

^Do not attempt to remove A/C control until after this entire Diagnosis and Repair Procedure has been performed.

^Verify customer reported symptom(s) if possible.

^Check for the presence of DTCs with the scan tool (DRBIII(R)) and record on the repair order. If a DRBIII(R) is not available reference the appropriate Service Manual - Heating and Air Conditioning "Self Diagnostics" procedure and record any present DTCs on the repair order. If Symptoms and/or DTCs other than those listed above are present, repair as necessary. If a Symptom(s) and/or DTC(s) listed above is present, perform the Repair Procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1.With the vehicle at room temperature 10°- 27°C. (50°to 80°F.), remove the M-1 circuit fuse for ten minutes to erase DTCs.

2.Install the M-1 fuse and start the vehicle, this will initiate the HVAC system calibration. Allow approximately five minutes for the calibration to complete.

3.Operate the vehicle and HVAC system to verify that Symptoms and/or DTCs are gone. If tapping noise or Blend Stall/Feedback DTCs re-occur, additional diagnosis will be required.

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

FAILURE CODE:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So should I take it to the dealer and tell them what I think is wrong? How much does something like that typically cost to fix?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
Yes take this bulliten to the dealer and explain your problem, If it needs to be reflashed, then its about a hundred dollars. But if it needs to be recalibated, it should be less.Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help! Have a great day!
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 5 years ago.
Anytime, thank you.