Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.
15218643

1985 Chrysler Lebaron: Turbo..22 mph around town..Module..ignition key

Customer Question

1985 Chrysler Lebaron Turbo ChargeTown & Country Station Wagon
Runs like a streak and averages 22 mph around town. However, when Power Module heats vehicle shuts down as if one had turned off the ignition key. Does not happen when outside temps are cold. Attempting to start, while in stall, results in starter hanging and then engine flooding. Must wait until Power Module cools completely before attempting to restart.

Stalled twice yesterday during warm temps of the day, mid 70's. Used a large can of Compressed Air (Held can upside down and shook until air chilled like ice) then sprayed on Power Module and connecting cables. Waited few minues and vehicle started immediately.
I need help and my husband takes this matter rather lightly. Mechanics in our area are dumb as a stump and cannot offer any suggestion except to possibly replace Power Module   
Did that a couple of years ago when replacing with a rebuilt Module that appeared to have correced the problem for awhile.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Which module are you cooling down to make it run and where exactly is it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The Module referred to by TDC Mobile Auto Repair is the "Master" Power Module. It is a black box that supposedly has all the electrical brains in it. It is my understanding that if one circuit and/or module goes bad you cannot replace just that. Instead you have to replace the entire "Master" Power Module.

It is located on the street side (driver's side) of the vehicle immediately behind the headlight and on the fender well.

My records show that in November 2006 TDC Mobile Auto Rpair replaced the Starter Switch, found poor connection in the engine harness, cleaned wiring harness, replaced connectors going to coil and injectors. In addition to replaced the Master Power Module with factory rebuilt.

thanks - merlane johnson
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
Ok, is the ductwork still intact that runs from the engine to the box that houses the engine computer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sure it is but let me go check it and get back with you. Would it help if I took a digital photo of the module, etc. and sent to an email address that would connect to your station?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The ductwork from the Master Module is in excellent condition and connected to the side of the Fuel Injector. From there ductwork leaves the back of the Fuel Injector and connects to what I assume is the engine itself.

All ductwork is in excellent condition and securely attached

merlane johnson
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
If thats the case, then there is no other option but to replece the module to solve your problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was afraid of that! Inasmuch I have barely 4600 easy miles on this vehicle, since the factory rebuilt Master Module was replaced in November 2006, would you suggest avoiding another "rebuilt" if at all possible?

Thanks and in order to avoid the possibly of losing you if I "Accept" at this time I will reply with that request after I receive a final call back from you.

Respectfully XXXXX XXXXX Johnson - 78 year old farmer's wife who is sick of pissing around with this damn thing!
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
The fact that you can cool the module and it works right just about proves its bad. Its kind of hard to find a unit that isnt rebuilt so thats the route you should go. Also replace the ignition coil at the same time because a partially shorted coil could overheat the module. I will leave this open so we can still chat wether you decide to accept now or later. I leave questions like this one open for at least a month.
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Anthony for your expedient help and advisory. Cannot tell you how many local auto mechanics I have been in touch with in our small community. The usual response to the problem has been DUH! As we speak I am making arrangements to secure another factory rebuilt Master Power Module.

Your suggestion to also replace the Ignition Coil, in the event it might be defective and/or shorted, suspicions me into thinking this could be a big part of the problem that resulted in a shorter lifespan of the recently replaced Power Module due to repeated and excessive overheating.

I have "Accepted" and hope you receive the $20.00 I sent in your behalf. Do not let anyone screw you out of it!

Thanks again - Merlane Johnson   
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
Thats correct and thank you very much, I really appreciate what you did. Very kind. Also another thing that can overheat the module is one of the fuel injectors in the same fashion as the coil. Other than that I dont see anything else that could but excessive electrical loads on the module.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
10-4! and thank you again
Merlane & Cecil Johnson
Dolores, CO
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
You are quite welcome and take care!