moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE and CHRYSLER Master Tech 30 years Chrysler Dodge&Jeep Dealership Exp

2001 pt cruiser: the right front hub assy..tire..brakes

Customer Question

how do i remove the right front hub assy on a 2001 pt cruiser? I have tire and brakes off. Now what?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
ALLDATA OnlineHome | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference
Component Search:
Conversion Calculator

2001 Chrysler Truck PT Cruiser L4-2.4L VIN B

Vehicle Level Maintenance Wheels and Tires Wheel Bearing Service and Repair Front
Front
Notes

STEERING KNUCKLE (WHEEL BEARING AND HUB)-FRONT

NOTE: The removal and installation of the wheel bearing and hub from the steering knuckle is only to be done with the steering knuckle removed from the vehicle. Removal of the wheel bearing from the steering knuckle must be done using the following procedure.

DISASSEMBLY

1. Remove steering knuckle, hub, and wheel bearing as an assembly from the vehicle.

1. Three wheel studs across from one another require removal from the hub flange. Rotate the hub to align each wheel mounting stud with the notch in the bearing retainer plate before removal. Using Remover, Special Tool C-4150A , press the three wheel mounting studs out of the hub flange. Remove the wheel mounting studs from the hub through the open notch.

1. Rotate the hub so the stud mounting holes in the hub are facing in the direction shown in the figure.
  2. Install the Bearing Splitter, Special Tool 1130, between the hub and the bearing retainer plate as shown. Absence of the three wheel mounting studs allows the bearing splitter to be installed behind the flange. Hand tighten the nuts to hold
  3. Place the steering knuckle face down in an arbor press supported by the bearing splitter as shown .

1. Position Remover/Installer, Special Tool 6644-2, on the small end of the hub. Using the arbor press, remove the hub from the wheel bearing. The bearing race will normally come out of the wheel bearing with the hub as it is pressed out of the bearing.
  2. Remove the bearing splitter from the steering knuckle.

1. Remove the three bolts mounting the bearing retainer plate to the steering knuckle. Remove the bearing retainer plate from the steering knuckle.

1. Place the steering knuckle back in the arbor press face down as shown. The press support blocks must not obstruct the bearing while it is being pressed out of the steering knuckle.
  2. Place Remover/Installer, Special Tool MB-990799 on the outer race of the wheel bearing. Press the wheel bearing out of the steering knuckle.

1. Remove the bearing race that is still pressed onto the hub. To do so, install Bearing Splitter, Special Tool 1130, between the hub flange and the bearing race. Place the hub, bearing race and bearing splitter in an arbor press as shown. Place Remover/Installer, Special Tool 6644-2 on end of hub. Press the hub out of the bearing race.

ASSEMBLY

1. Wipe the bore of the steering knuckle clean of any grease or dirt with a clean, dry shop towel.

1. Place the steering knuckle in an arbor press with Installer, Special Tool C-4698-2, supporting the steering knuckle.
  2. Place the NEW wheel bearing into the bore of the steering knuckle. Be sure the wheel bearing is placed squarely into the bore.
  3. Place Installer, Special Tool 5052, on the outer race of the wheel bearing. Press the wheel bearing into the steering knuckle until it is fully bottomed in the bore of the steering knuckle.
  4. Remove the knuckle from the press.

NOTE: Use only the original or identical replacement baits to mount the bearing retainer plate to the steering knuckle.

1. Noting the notch location, install the bearing retainer plate on the steering knuckle as shown. Install the three bearing retainer mounting bolts. Tighten the bearing retainer plate mounting bolts to a torque of 28 Nm (250 inch lbs.) .
  2. Install the previously removed wheel mounting studs back into the hub flange. To do so:
    1. Place the studs in the three holes in the hub flange.

1. Place the hub in the arbor press supported by Special Tool C-4698-1, allowing the first stud to extend down into the tool.
    2. Press the wheel mounting stud into the hub flange until it is fully seated against the back side on the hub flange.
    3. Remove the hub and tool from the press.
    4. Repeat the steps (b), (c) and (d) on the remaining two studs.

1. Place the steering knuckle with the wheel bearing installed back in the arbor press with the smaller end of Remover/Installer, Special Tool MB-990799, supporting the inner race of the wheel bearing as shown.
  2. Place the hub in the wheel bearing making sure it is square with the bearing inner race. Press the hub into the wheel bearing until it is fully bottomed in the wheel bearing.
  3. Remove the steering knuckle and tools from the press.
  4. Verify the hub turns smoothly without rubbing or binding.
  5. Install the steering knuckle on the vehicle.

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use