Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

2003 PT cruiser: extreme high pressure..compressor..low pressure..blew

I have a 2003 PT cruiser and the A/C builds extreme high pressure on the liquid line off the compressor. I get low pressure readings on the other side of the orfice tube. I took the orfice tube off and blew through it with air. Nothing came out and it seems to be clear. Is there anything else that would cause this plug.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
Hi there! I have just a few things to mention first of all. The line coming off the compressor is not your liquid line it is your high pressure gas discharge line. It goes to your condenser where it then turns to a high pressure liquid as it refrigerant absorbs heat from the outside air. Then it comes out of the condenser as a high pressure liquid, which then goes through the orfice tube and turns into a low pressure liquid. Things that can cause high discharge pressures are rad fans not working, plugged condenser and radiator, bent over fins on condensor and too much refrigerant in the system. I would suggest evacuating the system for an hour then charge to the proper charge then get the pressure readings to me. I hope this helps, thanks!