Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

2004 Chrysler Town and Country. The ABS and Brake warning

Customer Question

2004 Chrysler Town and Country. The ABS and Brake warning lamp came on today causing the traction control system to turn off (Trac Off displayed in the odemeter area). The system is not working. The brakes do not "pump". What are the possible causes of this issue?

Thanks
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

The ABS light comes on when the ABS module detects a fault in the ABS system. There are dozens of component failures and open/shorts in wiring that will set the ABS light, ranging from a faulty wheel speed sensor, open/short in wheel speed sensor wiring harness, faulty hydraulic unit, fault electronic brake control module(EBCM), faulty tone ring,etc.

While it is possible the majority of the faults to be repaired at home, the fault codes can only br retreived with a diagnostic scanner with ABS capability. This has to be done first in order to know where the problem is to either repair or do further diagnostics to determine if it is a faulty part or a wiring harness issue. If the problem is in the hyrdaulic unit, this would need to be replaced by a shop as it will require bleeding afterwards with a diagnostic scanner.

I would advise spending the $50-70 to have the on-board computer read for stored ABS fault codes. Considering that most sensors cost that much themselves, you can quickly sink much more than a diagnostic fee into replacing parts based on "what usually goes out" guesses.

By your description, likely a problem in the control module, hydraulic unit, or wiring short/open. I STRONGLY encourage and suggest that you spend the money for a diagnostic scan of the abs system so that you dont spend $1200 or more on a new control module or hydraulic unit that doesnt fix the problem because it wasnt properly diagnosed first.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I had the vehicle scanned using a actron CP9449 model ABS scanner. I recieved a non-OBD II format diagnostic troubleshooting code . It was the following: 10 Valve power feed failure. That was it what does it mean?

Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>Unfortunately, you will need a new control module based on this code. Before going with a factory new unit which is quite expensive, check with NAPA, Carquest, or other major parts store on availability to order a remanufactured unit. Many times you can get one for $250-350 instead of almost $1200 for a new one.</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It appears the control unit is integrated with the hydraulic unit under the master cylinder. Is this unit difficult to replace? Are there any special precautions I should be aware of?
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.

The control unit, also called the CAB(controller antilock brakes), can be separted from the hydraulic unit without removing the hydraulic unit. You will unlock and then disconnect the wiring connector. Then unbolt and remove the CAB unit. Installation is the reverse.

The problem you will have doing it yourself is that the new or remanufactured CAB unit will need to be programmed with a diagnostic scanner for your vehicle- VIN code, wheel size, etc.

You can install the new CAB unit yourself and then have it towed to a shop for the programming