Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  25 years certified Chrysler technician and ASE Certified Master Technician
12365498

2003 pt cruiser: starter..getting power..the solenoid..wont turn

i have a 2003 pt cruiser. when you turn the key to start it, all it does is manke one click. i tested the starter and i am getting power to the solenoid, but it wont turn the stater motor. i took off the starter and had it tested. it was pulling 140+ amps. i replaced the starter as suggested by the guy at the part store. its doing the same thing!!!
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Chrysler. Can you turn the engine over by hand?

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what would be the easiest way to do this on this car?? its a real pain in the ass to get to anything due to the engine being crammed in the engine bay??
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

There should be a crankshaft pulley bolt access cover that you can remove and attach a socket and long extension to in order to turn the crank. Here is a picture of that cover for you.

Chris

1 - RIGHT MOUNT BOLT ACCESS PLUG
2 - FASCIA
3 - SPLASH SHIELD
4 - CRANKSHAFT BOLT ACCESS PLUG

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, i can turn the engine over by hand.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Ok good. Try this next; Using a good set of jumper cables, connect one clamp to the battery negative terminal, and the other end to the engine block. If it will now turn over, then you have a bad ground cable. If it still will not turn over then do the same thing with the positive cable (battery positive terminal to the large starter terminal). Be careful near the starter terminal, try not to let the clamp touch ground. If it turns over then you have a bad positive cable. Let me know how it goes,

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. i connected the cables to the negative side and the car started right up. does this mean that i need to replace the negative battery cable??
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Yes! The negative cable has too much resistance in it. Now if the problem is at the battery cable clamp, then you might just be able to replace that with an after market clamp. Also check the end where the negative cable attach's to the block. It may be loose.

Chris

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: 25 years certified Chrysler technician and ASE Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im just gonna replace the whole cable!!! im sick of messing with this car!! thanks for your help man. i really appreciate it
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Sounds like a good plan fireman! Thanks for the accept and bonus! It was a pleasure to help you with this.

Chris