Richard, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser: turbo..overheating..the cooling fan..Circuit

Customer Question

I am working on a 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.4 turbo. The car is overheating looks like because the cooling fan isn't working. I have a code of P0480 "Fan code Circuit". Can you help me diagnos the problem. Also I don't no if this is related but when I turn on the A/C the idle goes extremely low almost stalls. Help
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Vipertech replied 5 years ago.

Good evening, chances are that one of the speeds on the fan is bad. It is recommended to use a scanner that can actuate both the low and high speed fans to see if either works. Another method is to gain access to the fan connector from under neath. There is a 3 wire connector for the fan. The outside wires of the 3 wire connector are the 2 power wires for the fan. One is for the low speed and the other for the high speed. The center wire is the ground. You need to actuate the fan with the scanner and then check for voltage at either of the outside wires to see if 12 volts is present. You can try to use a jumper wire hooked to battery voltage to see if you can make either of the speeds work. Just be careful because if the fan draws to much current, it can cause the jumper to overheat or even damage the circuits. I personally use a "Power Probe" that has a built in circuit breaker than protects the system in case of excessive current draw.

If this answers your question then please press "ACCEPT "so that I may be paid for the time spent helping you. If you need more help then please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, we tried turning the fans on with the scanner it does give us the menu to do so but when we try it say's. "Test not supported" so we can't get the fans to turn on. Also we are only finding a four wire connector to the fan not a three wire we have put pwr to each one wire and the fan isn't turning on. The wires are brown, black,pink and yellow. What next?
Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok we did finally get the scanner to pwr up the fan. where do we go now to get the fan to work properly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry its hard to accept when I no one ever got back to me I waited all day. So I really got no help.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Can I get you to check the violet/red wire at the fan assembly to see if there is battery power there. If there is check the dark green/orange wire with engine running. There should be power with engine running. Let me know, thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I waited all day and you never got back to me you were supposed to be helping me diagnos the problem. Not just give me one answer. Or am I wrong?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
I am not the same tech that was helping you at the start. I wanted to help you on june second but you never replied back to me. The first tech was viper tech and he is the one that did not reply back to you. I am sorry about the misunderstanding as I wanted to help you resolve this because he did not get back to you!!! Do you still have the problem because I will help you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No! that was over a week ago
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
OK