Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Having problems starting my 2003 PT Cruiser. Is is very infrequent

Having problems starting my 2003 PT Cruiser. Is is very infrequent by is happening more and more. The battery and the wiring to the starter are new. I did get a error code about the cam sensor but that has gone aways. You can hear the starter turning but the engine does not turn over. Any thoughts.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Considering you had a camshaft posistion sensor error this would be the place to start becaue it would make a hard start or no start condition. Here are replacement procedures. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks

1. Remove the air cleaner lid, disconnect the inlet air temperature sensor and makeup air hose.
  2. Remove the negative battery cable.
  3. Disconnect electrical connector from camshaft position sensor.
  4. Remove camshaft position sensor mounting screws. Remove sensor.

Fig. 6 Target Magnet Removal/Installation

1. Loosen screw attaching target magnet to rear of camshaft.

Fig. 8 Target Magnet Installation

The target magnet has locating dowels that fit into machined locating holes in the end of the camshaft.

1. Install target magnet in end of camshaft. Tighten mounting screw to 3.6 Nm (32 ±5 in. lbs.) torque. Over torquing could cause cracks in magnet. If magnet cracks replace it.
  2. Install camshaft position sensor. Tighten sensor mounting screws to 9 Nm (80 ±15 in. lbs.) torque.
  3. Carefully attach electrical connector to camshaft position sensor. Installation at an angle may damage the sensor pins.
  4. Install the negative battery cable.
  5. Install the air cleaner lid, connect the inlet air temperature sensor and makeup air hose.