Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.

2005 chrysler: abs light..light stays on..relay..dealer service

2005 chrysler town and country abs light stays on. Is there a reset or a relay to replace beefore dealer service
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

The ABS light comes on when the ABS module detects a fault in the ABS system. There are dozens of component failures and open/shorts in wiring that will set the ABS light, ranging from a faulty wheel speed sensor, open/short in wheel speed sensor wiring harness, faulty hydraulic unit, fault electronic brake control module(EBCM), faulty tone ring,etc. There isnt a relay or reset procedure to turn the light off- it can only be turned off by repairing the fault responsible for turning it on, and then using the factory scan tool to erase the fault code and reset the light.

While it is possible the majority of the faults to be repaired at home, the fault codes can only br retreived with a diagnostic scanner with ABS capability. This has to be done first in order to know where the problem is to either repair or do further diagnostics to determine if it is a faulty part or a wiring harness issue. If the problem is in the hyrdaulic unit, this would need to be replaced by a shop as it will require bleeding afterwards with a diagnostic scanner.

I would advise spending the $50-70 to have the on-board computer read for stored ABS fault codes. Considering that most sensors cost that much themselves, you can quickly sink much more than a diagnostic fee into replacing parts based on "what usually goes out" guesses.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.