Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

1999 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8 liter (no spark) I happen

1999 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8 liter (no spark) I happen to have 2 vans of the same year and engine, so I tried to exchange the coil packs, but the pack wasn't the problem. There is still no spark on the "sick" van. I don't want to start stabbing blindly for the problem. Where would you experts go from here? The van cranks normally but does not start. There is no spark. Code 999 from the trip/reset button test. The MIL is not on. I need a clue. Please help. Thanks.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

It is likely a failed crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor. You can test these sensors by backprobing the gray wire with black stripe for voltage while cranking on the cranksensor. And you should see voltage on the tan wire with yellow line on the camshaft sensor. Here is picture locations of both. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks

graphic

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Also make sure the 20 Amp fuse in location 17 under the hood is good and the asd relay should click.

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Dan,

still need your input, I back probed the crank and cam sensor wires that you mentioned and this is what I found:

Crank sensor: (grey w black stripe wire) There was 5 V with the key on, and about 250-300 mV while cranking.

Cam sensor: (tan wire with yellow stripe) There was about 100 mV with the key off!

5 V with the key on but engine not cranking, and about 250 mV while cranking.

The ASD relay clicked normally or I could feel the click when the key was switched on.

And I couldn't find any blown fuses otherwise either.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

I'm not sure at this point, I'd say possibly the pcm or security issue, but I'll opt out and see if another expert might be able to help you with this problem. Thanks

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

I'd like to start fresh with this and see if we can get some codes out of it. If you have anything unplugged under the hood plug it all back in. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes to clear any codes that may be in there from working on the van. Reconnect it and give the starter a good 20 seconds of continuous cranking. Then check for codes. Cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on. After the last time you turn it on the check engine light will come on and then go off. After a pause it will come back and start flashing. It will flash up to 9 times and then pause. Count up the flashes between the pauses-this is a code digit. Count up all the digits you see and post them here in order and we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, standby, be back in a few minutes, though I don't think there will be any stored codes, other than "normal" ones...

Let me know what you find, hopefully something will show up. If you don't have spark something really should show up.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I did what what you said, and there are no codes flashing. Everything is connected back beforehand...

no codes stored (service engine soon light) is functioning (lights up at initial key on)

what next?

It will flash if you do it just right. Even if there are no codes stored there will be 4 digits that will come up to tell you that. If you want, try the read again. Put the key in and turn it one click forward. This is off. One click forward of that is on. Start off, go on, off, on, off, on and then it will go. If you can't get it to work we'll move on, but it may be more work to find the problem.

Grab a test light and unplug the coil pack or one of the injectors. Find the dark green/orange wire. This wire will power up for about a second at key on, and then again while cranking normally. Check both of these situations for me with a light. See if it powers for a second at key on, then crank the engine and see if it powers up. Let me know the results and I'll know which general direction to take us.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, I tried getting the codes again, and I'm pretty sure I did the key-on, key off sequence right and at the right positions but there were no flashing codes. I tried this procedure several times too, but still the same result, no flashing.

I found the dark green/orange stripe wire in the plug to the coil, there is no power to that wire either immediately after the key is switched on, or when the engine is cranked!

I first tried back probing it with no results, cause I wasn't sure if it would be a problem with me cranking it with the plug disconnected. but then I tried it with the plug out and

while probing the other side of the pin of that particular wire, still no power either time:

at key on and while cranking!

I tried testing voltage out of curiosity, found about 5 mV on that wire w key off,

16 mV initially when key was 1st switched on but fell off to below 10 mV after a sec.

And about 100? mV while cranking.

now what?

Ok. The ASD relay isn't powering up the circuit at all then. This is the relay that powers this wire. Fuse 17 that Dan had mentioned is for the ASD relay. You said you had checked this fuse?

Let's pull the ASD relay out. Turn it over and you will see that the terminals are numbered. Find the pins in the fuse box that correspond to 86 and 30 on the relay and check these both for power. If they're ok, check pin 85 for ground. This wire will ground for a second at initial key on, and then again while cranking. Be sure to check this with a test light instead of the meter. Let me know what you see for all of these things.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

now I feel like a dumb ass. Though a happy one.

I thought I went down and checked all the fuses thoroughly and that they

were good (incl. #17) but I physically pulled it out and checked it again and

it was blown! Changed the fuse and the engine cranks. ARRRRG!

I'll kick myself on that one for a while.

Now the question: what would cause that #17 (labelled "engine") fuse to blow?

Now I'm embarassed a bit, but learned some things from it nevertheless.

Who gets the credit for the answer? My appologies to Dan. But I thank you

both for your help! Let me know the ettiquite for this situation since I'm new here.

Ahhh, don't feel bad. That crap happens to everybody. The good thing is you found the blown fuse before you spent money buying a bunch of parts for it.

That relay runs the coil, injectors, and it runs to the oxgyen sensors. Look over the wiring in all of these areas, especially around the upstream oxygen sensor on the rear bank exhaust manifold. I've seen some with the wiring hanging down on the manifold. It melts and shorts to ground and blows the ASD fuse. If you don't see anything anywhere I'd keep a box of spare fuses with you just in case!

You can give whichever one of us credit that you want to. I'll leave it entirely up to you, no strings attached. I'm just glad we got it running again.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Sprinkles08, you are top notch! Great character too! I'll keep you in mind for my future problems, I think I can choose the techs right? I'll give Dan this one.

But thanks to both of you! Does he get to see our replys to each other? So he can see what happened?

Yes, you can request an expert when you open a new question. You can ask a question from the box on the expert's profile page, and if you do request someone it's best to use their name in your question also, just in case they're offline at the time.

Dan can still see what transpired here, and he'll get notification if you pay him for his answer. Good luck with your van!