Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified 0ver 25 years. Dealership, independant experience Bubmer to Bumper all makes/models

2004 pt cruiser 2.4l turbo, 85k miles, blows white smoke, smoke

2004 pt cruiser 2.4l turbo, 85k miles, blows white smoke, smoke is not too bad & then very bad at times, always bad after first starting the car. Coolant & radiator full, engine oil is fresh & clean, no signs of blown head gasket. Throwing codes P0420, P0172, P0300. Plugs appear to be fouled with oil?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Hello Jake.... you in the NAVY?,

I need you to double check the color of the smoke. I bet it got a blue hue to it. You are burning oil if the plugs are oil fouled.

I know you are not wanting to hear this, but, with the engine cold, I want you to remove the outlet tube {going to throttle body} from the turbo, or the intake tube to the throttle body and tell be if it is oil soaked.

If it is, let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is some oil.
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

You are having a turbo issue. The turbo is lubercated by oil pressure, and when they wear, the oil leaks by and gets into the intake system.. ie: smoke and fouled plugs.