marcpod
marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Experience:  i-car/ASE/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision monthly 18yrs exp/ licensed adjuster
17579256

2004 Sebring: changing..vin..the timing belt cover

Customer Question

What's envolved in changing a timing belt on a 2004 Sebring 2.4 engine vin x? Basically I just need to know what has to be removed to get to the timing belt, like parts that are in the way of accessing the timing belt cover, and do I have to raise the engine to do this? Also how long should it take to do this job by a mechanic? I'll probably add an hour or so to do it myself. Thanks
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.

welcome to just answer. Here you are. If you accept please hit the payment tab.and bonuses are always welcome. Thank you.

Timing Belt
Notes

TIMING BELT

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Required Special Tools:

• MD998738: Adjusting Screw
  • MD998767: Tensioner Wrench
REMOVAL SERVICE POINT
<> TIMING BELT REMOVAL
The crankshaft should always be turned in the forward direction only.

1. Turn the crankshaft in the forward direction (to the right) to align the camshaft sprocket timing marks.

1. Loosen the tension pulley fixing bolt. CAUTION: If the timing belt is to be re-used, use chalk to mark (on its flat side) an arrow indicating the clockwise direction.
  2. Move the tension pulley to the water pump side, and then remove the timing belt.

INSTALLATION SERVICE POINTS
>>A<< AUTO-TENSIONER INSTALLATION

1. Apply 98 - 196 N (22 - 44 lbs.) force to the pushrod of the auto-tensioner by pressing it against a metal object (such as the engine block) and measure the movement of the pushrod. Standard value: Within 1 mm (0.04 in.) A: Length when it is free (not pressed) B: Length when it is pressed A - B: Movement
  2. If it is outside the standard value, replace the auto-tensioner. CAUTION: Never compress the pushrod too fast, or it may be damaged.
    1. Use a press or vise to gently compress the auto-tensioner pushrod until pin hole A of the pushrod and pin hole B of the tensioner cylinder are aligned.

1. When the holes are aligned, insert the set pin. NOTE: When replacing the auto-tensioner with a new part, the pin will be in the auto-tensioner.
    2. Install the auto-tensioner to the engine. >>B<< TIMING BELT INSTALLATION

1. Align the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket, crankshaft sprocket and oil pump sprocket.

1. After aligning the timing mark on the oil pump sprocket, remove the cylinder block plug and insert a Phillips) head 8 mm (0.3 in.) screwdriver. Check to be sure that the screwdriver goes in 60 mm (2.4 inches) or more. If the screwdriver will only go in 20 - 25 mm (0.8 - 1.0 in.) before striking the counterbalance shaft, turn the sprocket once, realign the timing marks and check that the screwdriver goes in 60 mm (2.4 inches) or more. The screwdriver should not be taken out until the timing belt is installed. CAUTION: If the timing belt is re-used, install so that the arrow marked on it at time of removal is pointing in the clockwise direction.
    2. Install the belt to the crankshaft sprocket, oil pump sprocket and camshaft sprocket in that order, so that there is no slackness in the belt tension.

1. Set the tension pulley so that the pin holes are at the bottom, press the tension pulley lightly against the timing belt, and then provisionally tighten the fixing bolt.
    5Adjust the timing belt tension.

>>C<< TIMING BELT TENSION ADJUSTMENT

1. After turning the crankshaft 1/4 of a revolution in the counterclockwise direction, turn it in the clockwise direction until the timing marks are aligned. CAUTION: When tightening the fixing bolt, make sure that the tension pulley does not turn with the bolt.

1. Loosen the tension pulley fixing bolt, and then use special tool MD998767 and a torque wrench to tighten the fixing bolt to the specified torque while applying tension to the timing belt. Timing belt tension torque: 3.5 Nm (31 in. lbs.) Tightening torque: 48 ±6 Nm (36 ±4 ft. lbs.)
    2. Remove the set pin that has been inserted into the auto-tensioner.

1. Turn the crankshaft two revolutions clockwise so that the timing marks are aligned. After leaving it for 15 minutes, measure the amount of protrusion of the auto-tensioner. Standard value (A): 3.8 - 4.5 mm (0.15 - 0.18 in.)
    5If the amount of protrusion is outside the standard value, repeat steps (1) through (4).
    1. Check again to be sure that the timing marks of each sprocket are aligned.

Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.
Timing Belt B
Notes

TIMING BELT B

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Required Special Tool:

• MB991367: Special Spanner
REMOVAL SERVICE POINTS
<> CRANKSHAFT SPROCKET REMOVAL

1. Use the crankshaft pulley mounting bolt to hold special tool MB991367.
  2. Loosen the crankshaft sprocket mounting bolt, and remove the sprocket. <>TIMING BELT B REMOVAL

CAUTION: If the belt is to be re-used, mark an arrow on the belt with chalk indicating the clockwise direction of rotation.

INSTALLATION SERVICE POINTS
    >>A<< TIMING BELT B INSTALLATION

1. Ensure that crankshaft sprocket B timing marks and the counterbalance shaft sprocket timing marks are aligned.
    2. Fit timing belt B over crankshaft sprocket B and the counterbalance shaft sprocket. Ensure that there is no slack in the belt. >>B<< CRANKSHAFT SENSING BLADE/CRANKSHAFT SPROCKET INSTALLATION

1. To prevent the crankshaft bolt from loosening, degrease or clean the seating surfaces of the crankshaft, crankshaft sprocket B, crankshaft sensing blade and crankshaft at the shown positions.
    2. Install the crankshaft sensing blade so that they face as shown in the illustration.
    3. Apply the minimum amount of engine oil to the seat surface and thread of the crankshaft bolt.

1. Use the crankshaft pulley mounting bolt to secure special tool MB991367.
    5Tighten the crankshaft sprocket bolt to the specified torque.
    Tightening torque: 118 ±9 Nm (87 ±7 ft. lbs.)

>>C<< TIMING BELT B TENSION ADJUSTMENT

1. Temporarily fix the timing belt B tensioner so the center of the tensioner pulley is to the left and above the center of the mounting bolt. Temporarily attach the tensioner pulley so the flange is toward the front of the engine. CAUTION: When tightening the bolt, ensure that the tensioner pulley shaft does not rotate with the bolt. Allowing it to rotate with the bolt can cause excessive tension of the bolt.

1. Holding the timing belt B tensioner up with your finger in the direction of the arrow, apply pressure on the timing belt so the tension side of the belt is taut. Now tighten the bolt to fix the tensioner. Tightening torque: 19 ±3 Nm (14 ±2 ft. lbs.)

1. To ensure that the tension is correct, depress the belt (point A) with a finger. Adjust the belt tension if it is incorrect. Standard value: 5 - 7 mm (0.2 - 0.3 in.)

Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.
Time labor looking at 4-5 hours
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This doesn't quite answer the question although it goes into good detail of changing the timing belt itself. I was refering to outside motor parts that would need to be removed to have access to do the job. ie; maybe the motor has to be lifted out to do the job, or just a few components need to be removed that are in the way of doing the job. Also what is the aproximate time factor in doing the job from start to finish? From this information I can determine if I can do it myself (since my tools and equipment is limited), or if I take it to a mechanic in a shop I'd have a fair idea of the costs involved.  
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.
Yes yur going to have to take most of the structure out to do this, Sheilds on top of radiator. take aux fans out yes litle bit more to it air cleaner. Shop depending on labor hr cost do you have a lobor rate where you are.
marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Experience: i-car/ASE/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision monthly 18yrs exp/ licensed adjuster
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's what I was afraid of. When I looked at the motor I had a feeling it was going to be a big job. Wish these car companies had stuck to the timing chain. They last a lot longer than belts.
Expert:  marcpod replied 5 years ago.
When I specified the hours it is time replace 3.0 plus the other items you need to remove. Your right.