John, triple chrysler master tech
Experience:  43 years,triple chrys ,ase master tech,l1,t2 b5 a1-a8 Hev spec.
9510839

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Climate control

Customer Question

I went thru this once, but here I go again. why does my system close off all vents even tho the blower is fully functional. My rear seat vents
are working OK. this has happened only a few times. But yesterday I had 12 hours of hot travel with no AC. Another time my center vents had no air but the side vents were OK . Also I had no heat or AC. After my trip was over about an hour later I started the car and everything worked fine Dealer won't touch it unless trouble is in. I thought it might be a stuck air valve, but apparently iit looks like aloose electron in the climate control module wherever that is.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Hi my name is John.

You will need to go to the dealership to have them read the codes in the ac control head to know for sure what is going on.If find out the codes I can tell you how to test it and repair the problem.

Remove ignition switch bezel

3. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, disengage the locking tabs attaching

instrument panel center bezel right and left side.

4. Remove the three screws that secure the A/C-heater control to the instrument panel.

5. Remove the A/C-heater control from the instrument panel and disconnect the two wire

harness connectors from the control

This is how to remove the ac control head and check to see if the connector is loose or there is a push out pin.You can also put a little bit of dielectrial grease on the pins.

Let me know what you find out.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I get up home (Sackets Harbor- near Watertown, NY) I'll check this out. I went to my dealer in Watertown last year and he wanted to do the diagnostii( 100 bucks) after the trouble had dissapeared and he thought there might be something in memory but found the diagnostic he did had nothing to do with the climate control. Anyway I just want to go to someone who can give me an idea of how the damn thing works and then get an idea of how to approach the problem. Thank you and I'll be in touch
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Let me know
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Other
I'm coming back from Florida. I did get an answer but I won't be able to follow up till next week. Thank you
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Sound good let me know when you find out.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know it's been a while. But I went to the dealer in Watertown who did what you suggested. Found no codes and trouble still comes in. But yesterday I had the trouble come in and in the process of venting my frustrations, found that if i do not use the computer and just use the manual settings the AC works fine. Isn't it awful how acclimated we have become to pushing one button. What gets me is, no service person suggested not using the automatic feature. Thanks for your suggestions tho.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Your welcome,it sound like you need a new control head for the ac.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No doubt. But I found if it doesn't work on auto it works fine on manual. I wish I knew that before I spent $85 For th useless diagnostic on the AC control Module,Thanks for your assistance anyway.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
your welcome
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Here I am Ready to head for Florida in a couple of weeks, my car is at the local Chrysler dealer and I requested that they replace the ac-heater control module. They are waiting for the trouble to show up. I tell them that it may not happen only 25% of the time. The last time it happened the fan worked fine but no heat no cool and th windows were fogging up with no defrost function. The manual operation fix I mentioned before was a fluke. Any suggestions? Am happy to py if I can get it fixed I can get a used control for a $150 but still need the dealer to get the proper info on the unit and to program it. I guess I better go trade the car in.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
The dealership can just go to the mds2 to download the solfware for the computer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I insisted that the dealer replace the AC-Heater control unit. They did. I still have the original problem. For two days we had intermittent AC going from Syracuse to Florida Friday& Saturday. SundayDriving around for Groceries, No problem.

Is there a damper located at the heater which would prevent any flow of heated or cool air to the rest of the vents. I wish I could get a schematic of the heating a cooling system. there is no doubt that one of the main dampers is getting stuck closed.

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

There is the blend door inside the heater box and the power module that control the blower motor speed.

What codes did they get out of the computer?

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Why did you go to some one else to ask the question and have not even paid me for any thing.

Do you want me to show you how to replace the blend door?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry, I thought I was going to you. I just woke up to where I made the mistake. My apologies to Amadee Yes I would like to go after that blend door.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Ok this is a lot of info i will send it in three parts.

graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
With two people you will move the right side of the IP away from the firewall and hold it back with a bungge cord.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
here how to take the heater box apart to check for a broken door or link.

graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
Let me know what elser you need.

If I have help you,please push the accept button when were done.

Thank you for choosing just answer
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Thank you,if you need more just come back to this question

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Apparently, it may be cheaper to tradein the Pacifica. I''l let you know how I Make out
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know