BigBob, Shop manager/Service Manager
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

2005 Chrysler Pacifica: 000 miles..the miles were at freeway speeds

I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica with 98,000 miles. I'm really happy with it and plan to drive the car at least another 100,000 miles. About 80% to 90% of the miles were at freeway speeds. It has the 3.5L V6 engine. I am pretty sure it's time I replace the timing belt and I have a couple of questions. First, is the engine an interference engine? Second, how many hours of labor are usually charged to replace the timing belt? Third, do those hours usually include a tune-up? Fourth, I assume a tune-up is always part of a timing belt replacement, is that correct? Should I take the car to a dealer for this service and how much more percentage wise would a dealer charge than a local mechanic? Any guesses on what I should exepect to pay? I live in San Diego

1. CAUTION: The 3.5L is NOT a freewheeling engine. Therefore, loosen the valve train rocker assemblies before servicing the timing drive. This is an interference engine.

Labor Skill
Timing Belt
Replace B 2.0 3.1
This would not include any extras, like water pump, cam seals, crank seal, etc

3-4. A tune up is not included in a timing belt job, but you could save a little on labor by doing it then.

5. You do not have to go to a dealer, any good shop, like a AAA approved, should be able to do it.

I am in central california and this repair could run $1000-$1200 including the tune up

let me know if I can help further.

Good luck,

my information is not free, I have to pay for it, please don’t forget to accept, I don’t get paid until you do, because you made a deposit does not mean you have paid