Steve
Steve, ASE L1 Master Technician
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

2005 SEBRING: INSPECTION..AIR FLOW..SENSOR CIRCUIT..CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Customer Question

I FAILED AND INSPECTION WITH MY 2005 SEBRING EQUIPPED WITH CA EMISSIONS.THE CODE THAT CAME UP WAS P-2431(SECONDARY AIR FLOW/RESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH BANK 1)I CHANGED THE AIR CHECK VALVE AND THE AIR INJECTION PUMP,BUT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS STILL ON.WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE NOW?THE CHECK VALVE AND AIR INJECTION PUMP WERE BOTH BAD.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Hello;

What engine do you ahve in your Sebring?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2.4 DOHC
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

This code is stored when the computer commands the air injection system to operate, but the MAF sensor sees no change in the volums of air entering the engine. Since the air for the air injection system passes through the air filter and MAF sensor, a normal response would be an increase in engine airflow when the injection is activated.

This is a 2 trip fault; it has to occur twice on subsequent trips to store the code and turn the light on.

Possible causes include any kind of air leak in the air injection system, an internal MAF sensor problem, or an internal PCM problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MY CAR IS DOES NOT HAVE A MAF SENSOR.WHEN I PURSHED THE AIR PUMP THE CLERK TOLD ME THAT CHRYSLER RECOMMENDS CHANGING THE RELAY SWITCH.I HAVE NOT SHOULD I? AND COULD THIS BE TRIGGERING THE CODE NOW?
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
What is the 8th digit of your VIN number?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
J
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Apologies; apparently this is an unusual setup compared to the ones we have seen in our shop.

on yours, the MAF sensor is used only for air injection monitoring; it is attached to the air injection inlet hose, directly below the filter.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
Yes, yours has an airflow sensor; it is locates between the filter and the inlet hose for the air injection system. this sensor may be faulty, but you need a scan tool with live data display capability to be able to see if it is working or not.