Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

1997 chrysler town and country AWD has a vibration at acceleration

Customer Question

1997 chrysler town and country AWD has a vibration at acceleration at all speeds, but is evident during decell as well as cousting. speeds vary at 10 to 65 MPH. Thought an axle shaft or wheel bearing could cause this problem. Any ideas would be appriciated.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There has been a service bulletin for that type of concern. Here is what it states.

NO: 21-03-97

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: Mar. 3, 1997

SUBJECT:
Vibration/Drone At All Vehicle Speeds and/or Slight Jerk During Initial Acceleration and/or Coming to A Full Stop
MODELS:
1997 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

PLEASE PERFORM THIS BULLETIN ALL SUBJECT VEHICLES.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Some vehicles may experience a noticeable drive line vibration/drone at all vehicle speeds; a slight jerk during initial acceleration or when coming to a complete stop; and possible fluid leakage. These conditions may be due to a torque loss of the Power Takeoff Unit's (PTU) mounting fasteners.

DIAGNOSIS:

Inspect the PTU and its mounting brackets for visible cracks. If cracks are discovered, replace the cracked component(s) using the procedures outlined in the 1997 Town & Country, Caravan and Voyager Service Manual (Publication No 81-370-7105) before performing the Repair Procedure. Inspect the PTU to transaxle mating area for transmission fluid leakage. If leakage is discovered, clean the area then perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

AR (2) 06100940 Bolt, PTU Bracket to Engine
AR (9) 06504171 Bolt, PTU and PTU Bracket to Transaxle
AR (3) 06504257 Bolt, PTU Bracket to PTU

AR (1) 04318031 Mopar Lock'n Seal

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

NOTE: APPLY MOPAR LOCK'N SEAL TO THE THREADS OF THE PTU MOUNTING FASTENERS PRIOR TO TORQUING THEM.
1. With the vehicle raised on an appropriate hoist, torque the (4) PTU to transaxle fasteners to 12-35 Nm (200 - 300 in. lbs.)
2. Torque the (2) PTU to transaxle bracket fasteners to 12-35 Nm (200 - 300 in. lbs.)

graphic

3. Torque the (3) transaxle bracket to transaxle fasteners to 12-35 Nm (200 - 300 in.) using to sequence illustrated.
4. Torque the (2) PTU to engine block bracket fasteners that mount the bracket to the engine block to 41-67 Nm (30-50 ft. lbs.).
5. Torque the (3) PTU to engine block bracket fasteners that mount the bracket to the PTU to 12-35 Nm (200 - 300 in. lbs.)
6. Lower the vehicle.
7. If the vehicle had evidence of a transmission fluid leak, check and adjust the transmission fluid level using the procedure outlined on page 21-2 of the 1997 Town & Country, Caravan and Voyager service manual (Publication No 81-370-7105).

POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No: 21-41-01-90 0.8 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE: XX - Service Adjustment

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am a ASE master tech and I do work on the side all the time. I will definetly use this site for more inquiries in the future. I would have never know about the bulletin and probably would have been chasing my tale looking for the cause. I give you my professional thanx. I appriciate the help.
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 years ago.
Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks