jeepmopar76, Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32 yr ASE Master tech, 9 yr Chrysler Master Tech 13 years Chrysler Dealership service

How do you change spark plugs in a 2001 PT Cruiser

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 7 years ago.

You need to remove the pleneum, to get to the plugs. It can be left with all the electrical connectors ,and throttle cable hooked up. You unbolt the 5-or 6 bolts that hold the top ( pleneum), to the lower half of the intake, Now, around the back of thethrottle body, there is 2 bolts that help sturdy the pleneum, one faceing the rear, and the other comes into the throttle body itself from the drivers side. You should now be able to lift the pleneum straight up, enought to get your hands in under, to reach the spark plug wires. I hook a bungi cord to the the pleneum, and the other end to the hood, to hold it up in the air, while changing the plugs. While you arte in there, you might as well put on new wires also, as they are not that expensive. (and you probably don't want to do this again for a while) I have seen a lot of wires short out in the head, and cause a miss-fire. I hope this helps. Good luck!