Rixster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  27+ Yrs. Exp. Owner Rix Automotive&Mobile Rep. Chry. Five Star Award

1987 Chrysler New Yorker Turbo: intermittent..freeway..warmed..park

Customer Question

I have an 1987 Chrysler New Yorker Turbo that is having an intermittent power loss issue. It happens at slow speeds and at freeway speeds, warmed up or cold. Sometimes you can start it back up on the fly and sometimes you have to stop and put it in park. It always starts back up, so far. At freeway speeds you will feel it starting to go and the power loss light will flicker. At this point the engine may die or it may come back to life and not come back for fifty miles. Seems to be happening more often. Happens on flat highway, hills, corners, very frustrating. I'm thinking ignition powwer source since sometimes you can start back up in neutral and sometimes you can't. Any help would be gre4atly appreciated. Wayne J.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Rixster replied 7 years ago.

Hello! I'm Rixster...

It sounds (from what you describe) like you may be having a Pick-up Coil Issue.

This is the Hall Effect Switch in the distributor under the cap and rotor. It has a multi conductor wire harness attached to it with a single plug connector. These are not real expensive and it would be worth a try replacing it to see if that is your issue.

Of course you will have already found out that you have good fuel pressure and fuel filter is good. Reset your timing after replacement to assure good ignition system integrity.

Also How's that Timing belt?

I hope this helps...

Thanx! -Rixster

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It has been about two weeks since I installed the pick-up coil that you recommended. Bingo, you hit it dead on. Not a twinge of hesitation, dying, power loss, nothing. Nice job!! You guys are on my favorites list.

Wayne J.

Expert:  Rixster replied 7 years ago.

Thanx Alot Dub!

I'm glad you could get what you needed.

Contact us anytime you need us!

Thanx Again!