Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

Neon: the alarm..keeps going..clues

Customer Question

the alarm on our neon keeps going off for no apparant reason,any clues as to what the problem may be
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

What year is it?

Is that a factory system?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear super mechanic, the car was uk registered in 2002 but was probably built earlier.it,s the international face lift model. (lx).The alarm arms with the key fob and then after 5 mins will go off then if you leave the car it will sometimes go off and then sometimes not, checked the bonnet switch but seeems ok and yes it's the factory system.
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
That explains it then. There has been a service bulletin for that type of concern. Here is what it states.

NUMBER: 08-012-03

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: Apr. 25, 2003

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING PROVIDED IN ADVANCE. DO NOT ORDER PARTS OR PERFORM ANY ACTIONS RELATED TO THIS BULLETIN UNTIL MAY 9, 2003.

SUBJECT:
Inadvertent Siren Activation

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing and configuring an Alarm Remote Keyless Entry Module (ARKEM).

MODELS:

2002 (PG) PT Cruiser (International Markets)

2000 - 2003 (PL) NEON (International Markets)

2001 - 2003 (PT) PT Cruiser (International Markets)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Customer may describe inadvertent siren activation or security alarm activates for no apparent reason, can happen at any time.

DIAGNOSIS:

If this condition can be duplicated or customer describes this condition, perform the Repair Procedure.

graphic

PARTS REQUIRED:

graphic

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

NOTE :AFTER INSTALLING A NEW ARKEM (RKE) MODULE IT MUST BE CONFIGURED USING THE DRBIII(R) SCAN TOOL AS DESCRIBED BELOW. THE DRBIII(R) SCAN TOOL MUST BE OPERATING AT LEVEL 56.0 OR HIGHER.
1. Replace the ARKEM (RKE) module as described in the appropriate service manual.
2. Hook up the DRBIII(R) Scan Tool to the Data Link Connector (DLC).
3. With the key in the ignition, turn the key to the RUN position.
4. After the DRBIII(R) Scan Tool initialization, perform the following:
a. Select "Theft Alarm".
b. Select "VTSS".
c. Select "Miscellaneous".
d. Select "Configure Module".
e. Select "Yes" for Current Configuration Display.
f. Press Any key.
g. Select the number of the model year of the vehicle (new requirement).
h. Select the number of the body style of the vehicle.
i. Select the number for Left Hand Drive or Right Hand Drive.
j. Select the number of the Market.
k. Select the Desired VTA (module) Type.
l. The Current Configuration is displayed.
m. Reprogram the RKE (Key Fob) Transmitter(s).
5. The configuration is complete, disconnect the DRBIII(R) Scan Tool.

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

graphic

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so this is going to cost for a new arkem module and a spell in the dealers or is there a way round it, maybe disconnecting the alarm
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
The problem with bypassing the alarm module is that it will have an effect on the thieft deterant system and you might not be able to start it. The new one would have to be configured to the vehicle, the dealer would have to do that.