Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

1999 Chrysler LHS: kill switch..Parked..the garage..without incident

Customer Question

My 1999 Chrysler LHS seems to have the kill switch stuck in the "on" position.   Parked the car in the garage after laundry last night without incident. How can I start my car?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Hi my name is John.

Does the engine turn over or just click?

Does the headligts come on?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Engine does not turn over. I get multiple clicks -- "click click click click click" -- and the headlights do come on. I can be reached directly at XXX-XXX-XXXX if needed.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Your phone number is XXXXX out.

Can you try a jumper battery to see it it will start?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm waiting on a neighbor to try a jump, as I don't have cables. Are you saying that this is not the kill switch, but a battery related issue instead?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Either the battery is low or the starter is stuck if it is you can hit it with a hammer o the side of it or the points in the ignition switch are burned.i jump it first and will go from there

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Whoa whoa whoa -- hit it with a hammer? What could have happened overnight that would require hammering? If I'm supposed to hit it, where exactly would this impact be located? I don't wanna just start whaling away on my engine like some berserk Norse god. Can I see some kind of a diagram? I'll see if I can go get some jumper cables from Autozone or something in the mean time, but I'm worried about whacking my engine.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

That only if it doesn't turn over with the battery cables.

If it just clicks whit the jumper cables hook up try tapping on the side of the starter(not the solenoid) while some one else is trying to start the car.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Oy. Well, lemme try and get some jumper cables. We're saying, authoritatively now, that it is *not* the kill switch as I previously believed?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
there is no kill switch,There is a ASD relay.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Oy. That's not what the user manual says, but okay. That would have been nice to know earlier. Off to try and find the neighbor to give me a jump.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
what happen to you?