moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE and CHRYSLER Master Tech 30 years Chrysler Dodge&Jeep Dealership Exp

300M: I set the timing..marks

How do I set the timing on a 300M and ensure that I have got the marks set at the correct loacation
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
What year is it and which eng do you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1999 with the 3,5 high output engine
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
ALLDATA OnlineHome | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference
Component Search:
Conversion Calculator

1999 Chrysler 300M V6-3.5L VIN G

Vehicle Level Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Timing Belt Service and Repair Timing Belt Removal and Installation
Timing Belt Removal and Installation
Notes

REMOVAL

CAUTION: The following procedure can only be used when the camshaft sprockets HAVE NOT BEEN LOOSENED or removed from the camshafts. Refer to Camshaft Sprocket if sprocket(s) or camshaft(s) have been loosened or removed.

CAUTION: The 3.2/3.5L are NOT freewheeling engines. Therefore, care should be taken not to rotate the camshafts or crankshaft with the timing belt removed.

1. Disconnect negative cable from remote jumper terminal.
  2. Remove upper radiator crossmember.
  3. Disconnect fan module electrical connector.
  4. Remove cooling fan module and accessory drive belts.
  5. Remove crankshaft damper and front timing belt covers.
  6. Mark belt running direction, if timing belt is to be reused. CAUTION: When aligning timing marks, always rotate engine by turning the crankshaft. Failure to do so will result in valve and/or piston damage.

Fig. 74

1. Rotate engine clockwise until crankshaft mark aligns with the TDC mark on oil pump housing and the camshaft sprocket timing marks are between the marks on the rear covers. CAUTION: Align the camshaft sprockets between the marks on rear belt covers before timing belt removal or damage to valve and/or pistons could occur.
  2. Using a ink or paint marker; mark the exact position of the camshaft sprocket timing mark relative to the two timing marks on the rear timing cover. NOTE: When timing belt tensioner is removed from engine, always store in the vertical (plunger facing upward) position.

Fig. 75

1. Remove the timing belt tensioner and remove timing belt.

Timing Belt Tensioner

1. When tensioner is removed from the engine it is necessary to compress the plunger into the tensioner body. CAUTION: Compress the tensioner slowly, as damage to tensioner could result.

Fig. 76

1. Place the tensioner into a vise and SLOWLY compress the plunger. Total bleed down of tensioner should take about 5 minutes. CAUTION: Index the tensioner in the vise the same way it is installed on the engine. This is to ensure proper pin orientation when tensioner is installed on the engine.
  2. When plunger is compressed into the tensioner body install a pin through the body and plunger to retain plunger in place until tensioner is installed. NOTE: When timing belt tensioner is removed from engine, always store in the vertical (plunger facing upward) position.

INSTALLATION

CAUTION: This procedure can only be used when the camshaft sprockets HAVE NOT BEEN LOOSENED or removed from the camshafts.

CAUTION: If camshafts have moved from the timing marks, always rotate camshaft towards the direction nearest to the timing marks (DO NOT TURN CAMSHAFTS A FULL REVOLUTION OR DAMAGE to valves and/or pistons could result).

Fig. 77

1. Align the crankshaft sprocket with the TDC mark on oil pump cover.
  2. Align the camshaft sprockets (to reference mark made upon removal) between the marks on the rear covers.
  3. Install the timing belt starting at the crankshaft sprocket going in a counterclockwise direction. Install the belt around the last sprocket. Maintain tension on the belt as it is positioned around the tensioner pulley.
  4. Holding the tensioner pulley against the belt. Install the tensioner into the housing and tighten to28 Nm (250 inch lbs.) . Each camshaft sprocket mark should still fall between the cover marks.
  5. When tensioner is in place pull retaining pin to allow the tensioner to extend to the pulley bracket.
  6. Rotate crankshaft sprocket 2 revolutions and check the timing marks on the camshafts and crankshaft. The marks should line up within their respective locations. If marks do not line up, repeat procedure.
  7. Install timing belt covers and crankshaft damper.
  8. Install accessory drive belts and cooling fan module.
  9. Install upper radiator crossmember.
  10. Connect negative cable to remote jumper terminal.
  11. Start engine and allow to idle for approximately 1 minute. If a noise is present from the timing belt/tensioner, air has possibly entered the tensioner.
    1. To remove air from tensioner; using a DRB III, operate the engine at speed of 1600-2000 RPM for 10 minutes. This will purge air from tensioner. NOTE: If air is present, the timing belt tensioner will be soft and may generate noise. This noise should disappear after no more than 15 minutes of engine running time.

© 2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the camshaft sprockets have been moved how do you determine they are in the correct positions
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
you will have to turn them back until the marks line up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I have to set the right camshaft up so that the #1 cylinder is on the compresion stroke and what do I have to do to se the left camshaft (how do I know it is corrcet0.
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
if you line up all the marks the why the picture shows then it will be on TDC on number one.line up all the pully marks and then install the belt.
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE and CHRYSLER Master Tech 30 years Chrysler Dodge&Jeep Dealership Exp