Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  25 years certified Chrysler technician and ASE Certified Master Technician
12365498

1996 Chrysler Sebring: a water pump and timing belt..convertible

how do you replace a water pump and timing belt on a 1996 Chrysler Sebring 2.5 V6 convertible?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Chrysler. Here is the procedure from the factory service manual for you. You will need to remove and reinstall the timing belt to do this.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

TIMING BELT

Timing Belt System

TIMING BELT - REMOVAL

1. Mark belt running direction for installation Mark Direction of Timing Belt
  2. Loosen timing belt auto tensioner bolts Timing Belt Engine Sprocket Timing and remove timing belt.

CAMSHAFT AND CRANKSHAFT TIMING PROCEDURE

TIMING BELT TENSIONER

1. When tensioner is removed from the engine it is necessary to compress the plunger into the tensioner body.
  2. Place the tensioner into a vise and slowly compress the plunger Compressing Timing Belt Tensioner

CAUTION: Index the tensioner in the vise the same way it is installed on the engine. This is to ensure proper pin orientation when tensioner is installed on the engine.

3. Compress plunger into the tensioner body. Install a pin through the body to retain the plunger..

TIMING BELT - INSTALLATION

1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the mark on the oil pump housing, then back off to 3 notches before TDC Crankshaft Sprocket Timing
  2. Set camshaft sprockets to the aligning marks on the sprockets with the marks on the rear timing belt cover Camshaft Sprocket Timing
  3. Install timing belt on rear camshaft sprocket first and install a binder clip on the belt and sprocket so the belt will not slip out of position. Keeping the belt taught, install under the water pump pulley and then around the front camshaft sprocket. Install an additional binder clip on the front sprocket and belt.
  4. Rotate the crankshaft to TDC Adjusting Crankshaft Sprocket for Timing Belt Continue routing the belt by the idler pulley and around the crankshaft sprocket to the tensioner pulley.
  5. Apply rotating force to the crankshaft sprocket in the clockwise direction, to tension belt, check that all timing marks are aligned.
  6. Using Special Tool MD 998767 and a torque wrench on the tensioner pulley. Apply 4.4 N·m (38.9 in. lbs.) of torque to tensioner Adjusting Drive Belt Tension Tighten tensioner pulley bolt to 48 N·n (35 ft. lbs.)
  7. With torque being applied to the tensioner pulley install the tensioner to the tensioner pulley bracket and tighten fasteners to 23 N·m (205 in. lbs.)
  8. Pull tensioner plunger pin.
  9. Rotate crankshaft 2 revolutions in a clockwise direction ONLY and check the alignment of the timing marks Timing Belt Engine Sprocket Timing Install tensioner pin into assembly. The pin should slide in and out without any resistance. If the pin does not slide freely, perform the procedure again.
  10. Install front half of timing cover and engine mount bracket Timing Belt Covers
  11. Install right engine mount. Refer to procedure outlined in this section.
  12. Remove jack from under engine.
  13. Install crankshaft damper and crankshaft damper bolt and tighten to 182 N·m (134 ft. lbs.) Refer to procedure outline in this section.
  14. Install accessory drive belts. Refer to the Accessory Drive section located in Group 7 Cooling System, for the procedure.
  15. Raise vehicle on hoist and install right inner splash shield.

WATER PUMP - 2.5L

REMOVAL

1. Drain cooling system. Refer to Draining Cooling System in this group.
  2. Remove mounting bolts.
  3. Separate pump from water inlet pipe Water Pump Inlet Tube and remove pump Water Pump - 2.5L Engine

INSTALLATION

1. Clean all gasket and O-ring surfaces on pump and water pipe inlet tube.
  2. Install new O-ring on water inlet pipe Water Pipe O-Ring Wet the O-ring with water to facilitate assembly

CAUTION: Keep the O-ring free of oil or grease.

3. Install new gasket on water pump and install pump inlet opening over water pipe, press assembly to cause water pipe insertion into pump housing.
  4. Install pump to block mounting bolts and tighten to 27 N·m (20 ft. lbs.)
  5. See Timing System in Engine, Group 9 and install timing belt. Reassemble engine.
  6. Fill cooling system. See Refilling Cooling System.
  7. Install accessory drive belts. Refer to Accessory Drive Belts, in this Group for procedure.

graphicgraphic

graphic

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: 25 years certified Chrysler technician and ASE Certified Master Technician