Donny
Donny, Mechanic
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified A1-A8,L1,X1,T1,T2 Over 25 years Experience with Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep
8425921

99 Chrysler: the steering column wont unlock and i..tilt..3rd

Customer Question

My ignition won't turn, the steering column won't unlock and i've tried my other key. I have a 99 Chrysler 300. I've also tried putting the tilt wheel in every position and tried a 3rd key I have. Still no luck. Any other suggestions?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Donny replied 5 years ago.

Hello

There most likely reason for this is that the lock cylinder has failed, these lock cylinders fail all the time,

Spray some lubricant into the cylinder where the key goes in (WD40 or something like it) now take a medium ball peen hammer and tap on the cylinder where the key goes in ( kind of hard but not too hard, you do not want to damage the front of the cylinder) now insert and try to turn key, you may need to do this a few times, if the key turns, the ignition lock cylinder will need to be replaced, the tumblers inside the cylinder wear and bind over time, this is fairly comon, when replacing the cylinder , the new one can be coded to match your key

Be sure that the steering wheel is not against the lock, turned ninety degrees and binding up the steering lock, you will have to tap the cylinder kind of hard but not too hard, it is difficult to tell you how much force to use, We have done a ton of these in the shop

I hope that this helps you

If you need more information or help just let me know

Thank you

Donny

Donny, Mechanic
Experience: A.S.E. Certified A1-A8,L1,X1,T1,T2 Over 25 years Experience with Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok sounds like a plan, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well that didnt work. any other possibilities or tips?
Expert:  Donny replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Sorry about the delay, I keep loosing connection with the site for some reason

Next put the key into the ignition and while applying turning force to the key, just about normal force, do not try and really crank over on the key or it will bend, hit the back side of the key with the hammer a few times, it is hard to tell you how hard to hit it from here, but you will need to hit it kind of hard just not enough to damage or brake the key or cylinder, also try pushing forward on the shifter towards park to help relive all pressure from the interlock cable

If you can get it to turn after you remove the key this will all happen again

From here it will require taking parts of the steering column apart if this does not work, as the key needs to be able to be turned to remove and replace the lock cylinder

Donny