Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.
15218643

Car does not run above 40 mph. Will not go any faster.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am interested in buying a 2000 Sebring 6cyl. The car has 170000 miles but the motor was "rebuilt" 3 years ago. They claim the car has recently started to act up and described it as "while driving the car would not go any faster tham 40 mph. What is your advise?
There is a chance that the catalytic convertor is clogged if the trans shifts ok. Is the Check Engine Light on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No check engine light. seems to shift ok. could this be a safety lockout in the transmission to prevent further damage? or mabe crankshaft position sensor. I do like the clogged cat theroy
If it's shifting through the gears the trans is ok. If a sensor was out, the CEL would be on. Check the exhaust by removing the front o2 sensors and see if some power is restored. That will set a fault though so don't get worried. Just put the sensors back and reset the light.