chyslerdan
chyslerdan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase.cert. master, denver auto grad.1987,chysler tech since1989
14440946

98 chrysler town & country: wont start..b/c alarm system shuts it

Customer Question

98 chrysler town & country won't start b/c alarm system shuts it down. seems permanently shut down - hasn't started in over a week. have tried several things with leaving key in ignition, disconnecting battery, opening/shutting door to re-activate (this used to work)
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  chyslerdan replied 7 years ago.

hi My Name is Dan,

Is the Alarm Light Flashing On Dash.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes

each lock cylinder on van has a switch for alarm , try unlocking both front doors and rear

lift gate and see if alarm goes off.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we've tried both driver & passenger doors but not the rear lift gate. We will try that tomorrow & let you know. The van is not at the house but the place where it stopped working.
let me know tomarrow,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry, but it has been pouring rain all day & my husband had to go out of town so we couldn't try your suggestions -- will go over tomorrow
It's Been raining here too. just let me know when you can .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we got over there tonight & tried the key in the rear lift door to no avail. I'm going to put thru the payment because you gave us something different to try. If you don't mind, I'd like to run something by you. Someone suggested taking the VIN # XXXXX a Chrysler dealer & ordering a mfg key. Do you know if a 98 Town & Country would have come w/a computer chip key?

If you have a gray key it is a skim key . If you had a bad key the van would of started and died 3 times . a new skim key is around 36 dollars and then you need it programmed with the van. you may have a bad body computer. with out checking vans computers. its hard to tell. I wish i could help you more.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks - take care.