Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

my PT Cruiser will not start. It is a 2005. The lights go on

Customer Question

my PT Cruiser will not start. It is a 2005. The lights go on but motor doesn't turn over. Just makes a clicking sound
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you get one single loud click from the engine compartment when you try to start the engine?

Was the car running fine when you parked it?

Do you have nice bright headlights?

Do you have a voltmeter to test with?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not a single loud click but several smaller clicks. car was running fine when parked. yes, I have bright headlights. NO VOLTMETER.

Ok. Try moving the shifter and see if it will start in neutral, put it back up in park and retry it. If that doesn't help, lets see if there are any trouble codes stored.

Cycle the key from off to on three times without starting the engine, and the last time leave it on. Watch the digital odometer display. The codes start with a p and have four numbers, there may be more than one code. Write down any that you see and post them here and I'll tell you where to go from there.

The smaller clicks you hear, do they happen when you turn the key on, or do you get a fast click-click-click-click for as long as you hold the key in the crank position?