John, triple chrysler master tech
Experience:  43 years,triple chrys ,ase master tech,l1,t2 b5 a1-a8 Hev spec.

I replace the 20 Amp fuse several times..blew

Customer Question

I replace the 20 Amp fuse several times. Replace with 25 Amp & it worked only once but blew also. I have no problem for several days, then it happens again. Only one turn of ignition switch and it blows on the first click. No engine turnover. Only blown fuse. Tried diagnostics but that doesn't find short. What else can I do? Spent too much already with no fix. Everyone charging for looking at it.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Hi my name is John.

What make,model,year, and engine do you have?

Does it blow when you turn on the key or when you try to turn over the engine?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Chrysler, Sebring, 2002 - Blows when I turn on the key. No turn over happens. I used 10 fuses 2 days ago and no start. Today I used 1 20 amp fuse and it started up repeatedly.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

When it blowing the fuse try pulling out the fuel pump relay and see if it stop blowing the fuse.You can buy a circuit breaker to install in there instead of a fuse till you fix the car.

If it doesn't blow the fuse when you have the fuel pump relay out you will need a fuel pump.

let me know

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is it because a bad fuel pump isn't taking a charge or is the bad fuel pump pulling more current? I will follow your advice, but just want to have a better understanding as I'm not a mechanic. Thank you
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

If the fuse doesn't blow when you have the fuel pump relay pulled out and it does blow when you have it in.The current draw for the fuel pump is more than the fuse.If it blow out only when you are cranking the engine over than the draw at the startewr is more than the could do a resistance test of the wire if you think the wiring is a problem.With an OHM meter it should read .5 ohm or less on the resistance.

Let me know if the fuse blow when youy have the relayout.

Please push the accept button when were done.

Thank you for choosing just answer.