stevets 61
stevets 61, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 years chrysler/jeep dealership experience-ASE master certified-Chrysler certified
12105596

2001 pt cruiser: battery went dead..now it will not start.

my 2001 pt cruiser battery went dead. did not discover for several days. now it will not start. we replaced the battery.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  stevets 61 replied 5 years ago.

Hi regcscag1,

Whan the battery is replaced the idle needs to be relearned.What you will have to do is start the engine and give it a little gas.Maybe about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down.When the engine starts slowly bring the rpms down to about 1200 rpms.hold this rpm until the engine warms up then slowly bring the rpms down to an idle.Now go drive the vehicle for about 2 miles and the idle will be "relearned"

Thanks for using JustAnswer,Steve

If I answered your question please accept. If not please ask more questions

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We can not start the car....nothing happens when you turn the key.
what else has been done to the vehicle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We drove the car Friday, worked fine. We did not try to drive the car until the next Tuesday. The car would not even turn over, nothing happens when you turn the key...no clicks.... no noises....nothing.

We replaced the battery, but the car still would not turn over. My friend did bypass the battery and jump started the starter, it would turn over, but the car would not crank. So he told me it was not the starter. We checked all the fuses inside and under the hood....they are all ok.

Is there any type of sensor key reset or reprogram that has to happen when the battery is dead for a long time? When we hooked the new battery up, all the electrical stuff worked...lights, horn, alarm, clock, etc. but the car will not start.

First try to cycle the locks with the keyfob a couple of times then try to start the engine

If the red light on the dash is flashing what you can do is turn the ignition key on,to the run position, without starting for 1 hour. It is necessary to use a battery charger.

Then after an hour cycle the key and try to start the engine.

If there is no red light flashing on the dash then we need to check the fuses,relays and wiring.

Steve

stevets 61, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10 years chrysler/jeep dealership experience-ASE master certified-Chrysler certified