Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/ Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist

My start-ignition 20 AMP fuse keeps blowing?

HiCustomer welcome to Just Answer!.

Just a few questions to get us started...

• What's the make, model, year and engine of the vehicle?
  • Does this happen immediately at key-on?
  • Or does the engine start and run for a period first?
  • Will the vehicle drive any distance at all? How much if so?
  • Describe the location of the fuse (underhood or inside) and the number if at all possible. If no number is XXXXX let me know the exact written description printed near the fuse.
  • Plus... is it a mini 20? Or one of the large (blue) cartridge-type fuses?
  • Does it kill the engine when it blows?

Sorry to be a pain about the fuse... but it doesn't do either of us any good to be looking at the wrong circuit (lol)!

Talk in a bit,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My car is a 2001 Chrysler Sebring, V6. It has 100,000 miles. I'v never had any trouble with any ignition problems or fuses till now. Went to start my car and it would not start, thought battery was dead after testing it and checking all the fuses, I found a 20 AMP starter/ignition fuse was blown. I installed a new one and worked fine for two weeks and now it's blown again. I have not done anything to my car nor have had any electric repairs. what is causing the fuse to blow? Thank you.
It's the starter. There aren't many things I can feel completely confident about without testing... but this is one of 'em.

The starter relay and PCM share the same circuit, something dating back to the last generation of Stratus 4-doors. It happens with the V6 or the 2.4 4-cylinder engine, something I can't completely explain because we don't have this issue with other models... except that the PCM doesn't share the same fuse.

It's funny, but sometimes the fuse will hold for days, even years without failure (my sister-in-law has been driving on the same replacement fuse for three years now). You weren't quite so lucky, probably was good-n-cold when it happened, too.

You'll need a starter, something the car has to be lifted or at least jacked up a good bit to accomplish. The front engine mount has to come off for clearance as well.

Don't hesitate to write back if you have any questions.