Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

How to change spark plug wires on a 1996 sebring

Customer Question

how to change spark plug wires on a 1996 sebring
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
The best way is to remove them one at a time and be sure they are on all the way so they do not come off later, you just remove one wire match it up with a new one that is the closest in length and reinstall it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no that is not what i needed to know what i ment is you can not see were the wire go too after the plugs how do take them off and put them bach on
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.

The back ones are a bit tough but all I can say is unhook them from the plug and you will need to lightly pull on them (there may be some hold downs that need to be removed) so that you can follow them and put them back where they came from. Below is a diagram of how they are routed,

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can not see the distributor or the back plugs con you show me a picture or a diagraom of the step by step way to do this

Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
I do not have that info available to me so I will opt out because another expert may have that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can not see the distributor or the back plugs to change the spark plug wires can you show me a picture or a step by step wayto do this
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

In order to change the rear plugs without the benifit of a lift, you will need to remove the upper intake manifold:

Upper intake manifold:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. On Sebring convertible, Cirrus, Stratus and Breeze models, disconnect the negative battery cable from the left strut tower. The ground cable is equipped with an insulator grommet, which should be placed on the stud to prevent the negative battery cable from accidentally grounding.
  2. Properly relieve the fuel system pressure using the procedure outlined in .

CAUTION Fuel injection systems remain under pressure, even after the engine has been turned OFF. The fuel system pressure MUST be relieved before disconnecting any fuel lines. Failure to do so may result in fire and/or personal injury.

1. Disconnect the fuel line(s) from the fuel rail assembly. On quick-connect fittings, squeeze the fitting retainer tabs together and separate the connection.

CAUTION Wrap shop towels around the connection to catch any gasoline spillage.

1. Loosen the throttle body air inlet hose clamp, then release the snaps holding the air cleaner housing cover to the housing. Remove the air cleaner cover and inlet hose from the engine.
  2. Unplug the vacuum connection at the power brake booster and the PCV valve. Disconnect all remaining vacuum hoses and pipes, as necessary. Tag for identification, if necessary, to save time at assembly.

It may be helpful to identify and tag each sensor connector and vacuum connection as it is being removed or disengaged. This may save time at assembly.

1. Disengage the connectors from the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor and the intake air temperature sensors.
  2. If necessary, disengage the power steering pressure switch and oxygen sensor connectors.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: Remove the right side intake manifold plenum support bracket bolt

1. Remove the plenum support bracket located to the rear of the MAP sensor.
  2. On all models except Sebring and Avenger coupes, loosen the attaching bolt, then remove the air inlet resonator. This is located on top of the engine intake manifold plenum.
  3. On Sebring and Avenger coupes, remove the control wiring harness mounting fasteners located on top of the upper plenum near the valve cover.
  4. Disconnect the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor electrical connections.
  5. Remove the throttle body assembly as outlined in .
  6. Remove the throttle cable bracket.
  7. Remove the EGR tube from the engine intake manifold.
  8. On Sebring and Avenger coupes, remove the EGR valve and transducer assembly.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: Remove the left side intake manifold plenum support bracket bolt Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Remove the intake manifold plenum mounting bolts Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: Remove the intake manifold plenum from the engine Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: Remove the intake plenum-to-lower intake manifold gasket

1. Remove the plenum support bracket located to the rear of the EGR tube.
  2. Remove the 7 bolts attaching the upper intake plenum to the lower manifold, and remove the plenum.

The distributor cap is accessible by removing the air intake tube from the aircleaner to the throttle body:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. On vehicles other than Sebring coupe or Avenger, there is a remote connection at the left strut tower, which is equipped with an insulator grommet; be sure to place this grommet on the stud to prevent the negative battery cable from accidentally grounding.
  2. If necessary for access, perform the following:
    1. Remove the bolt attaching the air inlet resonator to the intake manifold.
    2. Loosen the clamps holding the air cleaner cover to the air cleaner housing.
    3. Remove the PCV make-up air hose from the air inlet tube.
    4. Loosen the hose clamp at the throttle body.
    5. Remove the air cleaner cover, resonator and inlet tube.
    6. Remove the EGR tube.
  3. Mark for identification, if necessary, and remove the spark plug wires from the distributor cap.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Loosen the distributor cap hold-down screws Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Remove the distributor cap with the wires and terminals numbered for correct installation

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.