John, triple chrysler master tech
Experience:  43 years,triple chrys ,ase master tech,l1,t2 b5 a1-a8 Hev spec.
9510839

Chrysler PT Cruiser. The key is stuck in the ignition. The

Chrysler PT Cruiser. The key is stuck in the ignition. The shifter (automatic) appears to slide through the gear even when the engine is off. The button on the top of the shifter does not come up when in park, but does for all the other positions. All this happened while driving in 4-6" of snow. (who builds a car with such a small ground clearance?). Snow is gone, weather is warm (40+F). Still key stuck in ignition.

Hi my name is John.

The shifter is not all the way into park to release the key.

What year is your pt?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2005.

But there appears to be no more play in the shifter.

Here how to adjust the interlock cable.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Also check fuse 12 under the hood behind the air box on the left side

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK. Thanks for the information. I should be able to do this ( I think )
Let me know what happen.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well. First which fuse. They are not numbered, they have names.
There are two rows of fuses.

Second, the console is trapped by (1) the cigarette lighter socket. I was able to remove the rear window switch. Any good plan for releasing cigarette lighter socket. It does not appear to have any screws or restraining ring on the top. And under the current conditions, I cannot get it far enough away from the console to reach underneath.

And (2) the seats. The brake level points forward or up. To get the console out one has to lift up. The two seats arm rests and very likely the edge of the seats are in the way. Any ideas on removing/lifting the console. Or does one just force it.

Also the shifter handle is held by a "star" screw(?) I have not seen that type. Does that seem correct? I can go to the store to get that type of driver.

That a torx head screw.

A lot of times you can have one seat forward all the way and the other all the way back,it will slide out.

Check fuse 12 on the inside one instead.

Here a picture of where they are

graphic

graphic

You can buy it at the store

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I found, both seats all the way back, reclined -- and with some effort, the console is off!!!

Off to the store for torx driver.

Thanks for the fuse diagram.
your welcome

graphic

there is several size of torx,some model had allen head screw also

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I got it apart.

The "self-adjust" part is my next question. Am I to understand that I want to remove the nylon bracket to is holding the cable in. Let it sit. Then put the nylon bracket back in, correct?

You have been extremely helpful so far. (always good to suck up to those helping).

By the way, the fuse is OK.
The plastic clip you should pull part way out and than move the shifter lever to park al the way and than push the clip in and try the tests.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Got it. I am off to try it.
Good luck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I got it working. I actually found a burr on the nylon track just at the point where the parking position was. The tracking pin(?) would not pass over it and go up the track to the top position.

In any case, all is better. The key goes in and out and I know another repair.

Thanks for the advice. Do I need to do something to qualify this transaction or the feedback?

Thank you

Please push the accept button

If you want you can leave a positive feedback

Thank you for choosing just answer