Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech

1998 Sebring: Convertable engine will crank but..parked..running fine

My 1998 Sebring Convertable engine will crank but not start. After several tries there is a strong smell of gas like flooding. I parked the car in my garage for about a week and was running fine when I put it in the garage.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Derrick replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

Well the first thing we need to do is narrow this down to a fuel or ignition problem.

An easy way to check for spark is to remove the spark plug wire and hold the end (where it goes on the spark plug) against a good body ground. Then crank the motor over. If you get a spark, you have spark, if not, you will need to find out whether or not you are getting fuel.

An easy way to check if it is a fuel problem is to spray some starter fluid/carb cleaner in the throttle body, then try and start the car. If it starts, you have a fuel delivery problem. If so, we need to find the problem. Do you hear the fuel pump turn on in the fuel tank when you turn the key to the "on" position? If not, that is most likely your problem. Try tapping on the fuel tank with a hammer while someone is turning the car over. If it sputters or starts, you have a bad fuel pump.

If you do hear the fuel pump and are getting no fuel or spark, then you most likely are not getting a spark or injector pulse because the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is not receiving a signal from the cam or crank position sensor sensing that the engine is turning and one of those sensors may be faulty.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If there is a strong gasoline smell, like flooding with a carborator, does theat not indicate that the fuel pump is working proerly? If i disconnect the battery to reboot the computer module will this help?
Expert:  Derrick replied 7 years ago.

Yes, you are most likely getting fuel if you can smell it, so we can assume that the fuel pump is working.

You can disconnect the battery and it will reset all of the modules in the vehicle and if it starts then, you most likely have a failed PCM.

One thing that I have seen fail regularly on these Sebrings is the crankshaft position sensor.