Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience:  24 Year Factory Trained and Certified
12104952

1998 chrysler sebring 2.5 v6 NO SPARK

Customer Question

1998 chrysler sebring 2.5 v6 NO SPARK
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a volt meter to do some tests?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have a multimeter same thing right?

Good Ok, here is a pic of the 6 way distributor connector and the pinouts for the connector.

graphic

CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1K4 18BK/LBSENSOR GROUND
2K7 20OR8-VOLT SUPPLY
3K44 18TN/YLCAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
4--
5Z1 16BKGROUND
6K19 18BK/GYIGNITION COIL NO. 1 DRIVER

I need you to check for 8 volts, with the key on, at pin #2.

I also need you to check pin #6 for 1.5 to 2.5 volts while cranking the engine over.

Let me know what you get.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
O.K. I've got 9.1 volts at pin #2 and nothing on pin 6

Ok, so with no voltage reading on pin 6 it means the PCM is not triggering the coil. We have to go to the crank sensor to see if it is working.

graphic

CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1K7 20OR8-VOLT FEED
2K4 20BK/LBSENSOR GROUND
3K24 20GY/BKCRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL

Ok, test for the 8 or 9 volts on pin 1, with the sensor disconnected, and 5 volts on pin 3.

Then stick a pin or paper clip into the backside of the connector for pin3. Check your voltage again to be sure you have made proper contact. Now plug the connector back in.

Rotate the crankshaft pulley by hand while watching the 5 volt. It should switch from 5 volts to zero and then back to 5 volts and then zero again while you are rotating the pulley.

Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
crank sensor goes from 0 to 5

Ok, then you would have to test this wire directly at the PCM. If the PCM is seeing a crank signal but not triggering the coil then the PCM is at fault.

Be sure and verify there are no broken or corroded wires between the crank sensor and PCM and the PCM and distributor.

graphic

CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1--
2--
3K17 18DB/DG (WITH 2.4L ENGINE)IGN. COIL NO. 2 DRIVER
4K19 18BK/GYIGN. COIL NO. 1 DRIVER
5V32 20YL/RDSPEED CONTROL ON/OFF SWITCH SENSE
6A142 18DG/ORAUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN RELAY OUTPUT
7K13 18YL/WTINJECTOR NO. 3 DRIVER
8K20 18DGGENERATOR FIELD DRIVER
9--
10Z12 18BK/TNGROUND
11--
12--
13K11 18WT/LBFUEL INJECTOR NO. 1 DRIVER
14K58 18BR/DB (WITH 2.5L ENGINE)FUEL INJECTOR NO. 6 DRIVER
15K38 18GY (WITH 2.5L ENGINE)FUEL INJECTOR NO. 5 DRIVER
16K14 18LB/BRFUEL INJECTOR NO. 4 DRIVER
17K12 18TNFUEL INJECTOR NO. 2 DRIVER
18--
19--
20F12 18DB/WTFUSED IGN. (ST-RUN)
21--
22--
23--
24K42 18BK/LB (WITH 2.4L ENGINE)KNOCK SENSOR SIGNAL
25--
26K2 18TN/BKENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL
27K127 18BK/OROXYGEN SENSOR GROUND
28--
29--
30K41 18BK/DG (WITH 2.4L ENGINE)UPSTREAM HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR SIGNAL
30K127 18BK/OR (WITH 2.5L ENGINE)UPSTREAM HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR SIGNAL
31K90 18TNDOUBLE START OVERRIDE
32K24 18GY/BKCRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
33K44 20TN/YL (WITH 2.4L ENGINE)CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
33K44 18TN/YL (WITH 2.5L ENGINE)CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
34--
35K44 20TN/YL (WITH 2.4L ENGINE)THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
35K22 20OR/DB (WITH 2.5L ENGINE)THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
36K1 18DG/RDMAP SENSOR SIGNAL
37K21 18BK/RDINTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL
38--
39--
40K35 18GY/YLEGR SOLENOID CONTROL

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think we're on the right track where exactly is the pcm located on this car . I see two possible next to the battery but the plugs are different?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry not next to the battery , I meant next to the power dist. box thanks
Yes, they show it right next to the pdc. It hasXXXXXconnectors.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Got it Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX 32 I only get .01 to a .27 max and nothing on 4. I'm going to check the wire now. Anything else I should do?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Correction I am getting 4.99 to the pcm that must be the problem, does it send a signal out that I can check for or is that what I'm checking?

When you did the test at the crank sensor and saw the voltage go from 5 volts to zero and back again, this shows the crank sensor is switching. You are looking for the same thing at the pcm.......this just ensures the pcm is seeing this signal and that the wire isn't broken somewhere between the crank sensor and the pcm. You should be testing it the same way with a pin or paperclip pushed into the backside of the connector......this is with the connector plugged in.

The signal out is pin 4. This is the same wire you checked at the distruibutor and we were looking for 1.5 to 2.5 volts.

If the PCM is seeing the 5 volts go to zero and back to 5 volts as you rotate the engine then it is getting the crank signal. If it gets the crank signal is should be sending out the 1.5 to 2.5 volts to trigger the coil.

Mopar Certified, Technician
Experience: 24 Year Factory Trained and Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sounds like we found our problem I'll order up a new used pcm thanks for all your help.

i'll let you know if it works

ok.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Finally got the new computer put it in and it didnt work, is there a anti-theft,it had a sticker on the back regarding reprogramming the vin?